What's new

crackdown against cyclists

bikes have to ride on the left hand side, even on one-way streets.

This is not true. It came up in court for me. The police officer was misinformed. Hoever, as a general rule, I do not ride against traffic on a one-way street. It's better to find a way around. Not because it's illegal, but for safety, and because Japanese law doesn't work on the letter of the law, and if something bad happens, you want to look impeccable.

This is not true. It came up in court for me. The police officer was misinformed. Hoever, as a general rule, I do not ride against traffic on a one-way street. It's better to find a way around. Not because it's illegal, but for safety, and because Japanese law doesn't work on the letter of the law, and if something bad happens, you want to look impeccable.

Sorry I can't follow this discussion...:confused: I always try to cycle on the left side of the road according to the traffic law. Whenever I spot a ghost rider cycle towards me from the opposite side, I yell "GYAKUSO, DAME DA YO!"

GYAKUSO=逆走

Apparently, on one-way streets in Japan, there is no requirement for anyone to stick to any side of the street. I have this from a very good bilingual lawyer who is representing me in court.

I ride my "lunch bike"* the wrong way up a succession of one-way streets, almost every weekday. One such street goes right past the police station.

I was thinking about this discussion while riding to lunch today. And I was thinking to myself: the side of the road I choose totally depends on where the majority of illegally-parked vehicles aren't.

Much more likely that Marc's cop doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Let's set Stu's favorite doggie on him.

* Very nasty, rusty, clunky, cheap 6-'speed' shitii bike which I keep at the office. It gets me to lunch and back, and it has a center-stand and a huge basket. It would look OK if I replaced the rusted chrome seatpost and handlebars, but it would still make horrible noises.

Apparently, on one-way streets in Japan, there is no requirement for anyone to stick to any side of the street. I have this from a very good bilingual lawyer who is representing me in court.

Sounds weird, but laws can be weird. Did you mean to say this applies when you travel against the one-way traffic? Or also when you travel with the traffic?

I always go left either way, but I have observed that when I go against the traffic, many cars assume I am doing something illegal and they have the right to squeeze me out, so I'm extra careful.

I saw that this thread was started in 2007.

When exactly can we expect the crackdown to start?

Back
Top Bottom