What's new

Everesting Shiraishi

@leicaman Personally, I'll be looking forward to the pics of this, which will probably both exceed and offer twists that previous Everesters could only dream of.

Ha ha ha ! I've got wirecast on a computer so we can add titles and switch from multiple cameras, maybe do some interviews and reviews then dump it live to ustream....

Reactions: TCC
We need some one to sit in a small window in the corner of the screen spouting absolutely brain destroying boring non-commentary for hour upon hour talking about the flowers on the trees going up the climb and local historical facts that no one cares about.

We need some one to sit in a small window in the corner of the screen spouting absolutely brain destroying boring non-commentary for hour upon hour talking about the flowers on the trees going up the climb and local historical facts that no one cares about.

One person springs to mind...

@GrantT is a massive Carlton Kirby fan and can do a mean impression for at least as long as it takes @leicaman to destroy Shiraishi 16 times.

There's my vote:tup

2pq728k.jpg

I have a friend that trains in the summer months by cycling up and down the Gifu side of Mt. Norikura 3 times a day.

Attempting your Everest climb might be a lot more *fun* on Norikura because of the great descents you can reward yourself with to relieve the boredom.

Attempting your Everest climb might be a lot more *fun* on Norikura because of the great descents you can reward yourself with to relieve the boredom.

Norikura is not a good choice for an everesting challenge since it's closed at night.

The big L is doing Shiraishi. The contracts with the Shiraishi Everesting Authority have been signed. There is no going back. The next steps are to obtain a monster sound system and an adequate supply of cinnamon rolls. We may need to set up a Sherpa-type relay system down Sadamine to deliver freshly-baked pastries from Hana Cafe.

17 Shiraishi may be close to the total attempts I've challenged this climb.
Respects to your everesting.....everlasting challenges.
Would've been up for joining the cheering and the cinnamon rolls fest, but probably not this season.
Will be around when you're everesting Nihongi or Shigasaka or any other Chichibu climbs next season.

@°l2 you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this everesting malarkey. I think you need to chill out a bit. Your poo pooing of Strava, GPS and Garmin elevations has led me to wonder how audax club measure their elevations.

I certainly wouldn't call the everesting challenge "just another cheap Strava climbing challenge". I think you will anger quite a few people by making making statements like that.

Hi Leicaman: Just got back from a real "Hell's 400" -- the Nishi Izu 400. 29 sign ups, 7 finishers.

1. Since you asked about Audax and elevation measurements; Audax (French for "audacious") rides generally do not measure elevation, only distance. The only exceptions are the (relatively new) SR600 rides, which must have at least 10,000 meters of climbing and at least 600 kms in distance. The ACP uses OpenRunner to check the elevation gain -- it has the same limitations as other mapping software, but at least the measurement is consistent across all rides and perticipants and will not have differences for individuals based upon calibration etc. And the SR600 courses I am familiar with in Japan, each has a healthy margin of comfort -- 11K or 12K or more of climbing, against the minimum of 10k. So a minor error in elevation measurement will not detract from the achievement. Each SR600 is planned by a local audax group and "checked" by the ACP. There are thousands and thousands of people doing Audax rides around the world, and now about 30 of these rides.

2. Yes, I had a "bee in my bonnet" when told I should talk less and ride more. I could go on and on with my reasons re "Everesting", but will happily chill out. I just hope that if someone is angry, they will be inspired to go do something epic, on a really big hill or hills -- maybe even ride an SR600 (as I hope to do, body and mind willing, this year). Anger can be a wonderful motivator. In February I heard a talk by Arlene Blum, who was in the first group of women to climb Denali, and then led the first women's expedition to Annapurna (yes, a more dangerous mountain than Everest, with a real "dead zone"). She said origin the Denali expedition was a result of trying to join a group of men in another expedition ... and being offered a position on the base camp cook staff. She got even.

Best of luck with your Shiraishi adventure, and looking forward to the photos.

List of SR600 rides internationally:

My god, that Google Spreadsheet embedding is SO GOOD.

@leicaman Oh yeah, and you might want to have a word with Tokigawa Base about this. I am sure they would be interested and could offer support, or whatever. They seem pretty cool.

Good call @TCC They seem to know who we are, too. Asked me and Ben about some Facebook comments saying "we think this guy is TCC"

Back
Top Bottom