What's new

First visit to Japan

Christian

Warming-Up
Jan 15, 2007
Hi, just found your site and was wondering if I could get some advice about road cycling in Japan. I'm planning to visit Japan this April for en-route to a friends wedding in New Zealand. I live in London. I'm a keen road cyclist but, by April, it will be six months since I've cycled consistently. Therefore I'm keen to get some steady mountainous miles in while on holiday in an effort to re-start my cycling. I was planning on doing single day rides on a racer rather than touring from place to place.

- Where would be a good base for single day mountainous rides (approx 100 miles per day)? I'm not tied to Tokyo and could go further afield I.e. southern Japan
- What are the weather conditions like in Tokyo in April? Would these preclude cycling in the mountains around Tokyo? Are there TCC rides I could join?
- Can racing bikes be rented in Tokyo?

I'm a member of the De Laune cycling club, we are based in south London. Do take a look at our website at http://www.delaunecc.orgWe are London's oldest cycle club (the organisation not the people!)

Hi Christian-san,

welcome to TCC!:welcome:

Hi, just found your site and was wondering if I could get some advice about road cycling in Japan. I'm planning to visit Japan this April for en-route to a friends wedding in New Zealand. I live in London. I'm a keen road cyclist but, by April, it will be six months since I've cycled consistently. Therefore I'm keen to get some steady mountainous miles in while on holiday in an effort to re-start my cycling. I was planning on doing single day rides on a racer rather than touring from place to place.
Sounds good!:D
- Where would be a good base for single day mountainous rides (approx 100 miles per day)? I'm not tied to Tokyo and could go further afield I.e. southern Japan
How about center of Japan? It is the most mountainous area in Japan.
For example, from Nikko(Tochigi Pref.) to Ueda(Nagano Pref). It is maybe 110 miles and have 2 over 1000m hill climbs. And both Nikko and Ueda are easy to access by train from Tokyo.:climb02:
- What are the weather conditions like in Tokyo in April? Would these preclude cycling in the mountains around Tokyo?
I think it is the best season for cycling around Tokyo. But in the moutains it is still cold, but not so cold to preclude cycling (no snow on the road).
Are there TCC rides I could join?
We will have official and unofficial tours. If your date will be consistent with, I am looking forward to seeing you.
- Can racing bikes be rented in Tokyo?
Sorry, rent-a-bike is not popular in Japan. Especially I am sure you cannot rent racing bikes. I recommend you to bring your bike.:(
I'm a member of the De Laune cycling club, we are based in south London. Do take a look at our website at http://www.delaunecc.orgWe are London's oldest cycle club (the organisation not the people!)
Cool site and club. I hope TCC will be such a historical club.

Back
Top Bottom