What's new

Help Flat Tire

Those adaptors are great if you are in a residential area. Pumping with a hand pump is a killer. I only do it if I'm miles away from civilisation. If you've got an adaptor you can just knock on any door and ask to borrow the bike pump. Back up to a decent pressure in seconds.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Emergency Kit Contents

Was wondering what I should have in my seat bag for emergencies on the road. I thought I had everything, but in the last week found two items to help with emergency repair. Here is what I have now:

1. Spare tube
2. Small self adhesive tube patches (Slime brand)
3. Crank Brothers Multi Tool with chain breaker (no torx head)
4. Presta to Schrader valve adapter (thanks Half Fast Mike)
5. Tire levers with duct tape wrapped around one
6. Wippermann chain connecting link (thanks Cycling Plus)
I carry a small pump in my pocket or a frame pump depending on the bike. I have a small light mounted on the front of the bike that can double as a flash light.

Should I get:

1. A multi tool with a torx head?
2. Spare deraileur hanger?
Anything else that might save me out on the road?

Thanks and Cheers

The list you have looks really good to me, except maybe...

6. Wippermann chain connecting link (thanks Cycling Plus)

If you have the chain tool, why bother with the connecting link? Why not just carry a pin or two? (Not a rhetorical question)

1. A multi tool with a torx head?

That would depend on what torx screw(s) you have on the bike. My instinct would be to say no...

Spare deraileur hanger?

This looks like overkill to me... I don't have a spare hanger at home, let alone in the saddle bag. I'd carry spare spokes before a hanger (but I wouldn't carry spare spokes either).

Anything else that might save me out on the road?

Tire boot, for sure, although it's an easy thing to improvise with 1000 yen notes etc. (I'm assuming cell phone, money, health card, gaijin card, credit card, etc are a given...)

4. Presta to Schrader valve adapter (thanks Half Fast Mike)

You're welcome! Just want to check: are you planning on inflating road tires at the filling station? (Kaboom!) Assuming not...

If you have Schrader valves on your bike, you'll want a Schrader-to-English adapter. 米式ー英式. They can also be had, although they're less common here in Japan where the 'standard' pump is 'English' style.

If you have Presta valves on your bike, you want a Presta-to-English adapter. 仏式ー英式

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_stem

FWIW I carry...
  • Two tested tubes
  • Pair of nitrile gloves
  • Spare derailleur hanger
  • Park Tool wrench for Mavic spokes
  • Shimano aero-spoke wrench
  • Crank Bros. 19-piece multitool
  • Topeak mini-pump
  • 2 tire levers
  • Victorinox Swiss Card (in my wallet)
  • Wallet (I very rarely change the contents for the sake of a few grams)
  • POS iPhone
  • Garmin Edge 800
  • Uzi 9mm
etc.

I second Mike's idea of merging threads...

My saddle bag
- tested spare tube, wraped in plastic wrap to prevent corrosion and damage
- couple of stick on flat repair patches and sand paper
- mini roll of duct tape
- 1 tire iron
- either 2 CO2 canisters or one light weight pump
- 11-19 piece multi tool (chain breaker for long travels)
- copy of health insurace
- bit of power bar wrapper (imo BEST emergency sidewall protector in pinch)
- one 40 or 45 liter trash bag for long trips - works wonders on sudden downpour or emergency rinko

I actually meant the "Mechanical Failure on the Road - What do you do?" thread, which is why I included a link to it, not the "Flat tire" thread. Whatever.

Nobody ever listens to me - I might as well be a Leonard Cohen album.

Moved to appropriate sub-section also.

You might want to take a look at my post again.

Nobody ever listens to me - I might as well be a Leonard Cohen album.

Can't beat a big of Big Len! Especially in winter. Hang up your tyres. Light up the fire. Pour yourself a tall one. Famous Blue Raincoat on the stereo.... what more do you need?

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Back
Top Bottom