What's new

Garmin 800

Yeah worked that part out. I could not get the unit to recognize the gsc-10. In the manual it says the two icons become solid. Mine just flashed on the sprocket icon and never became solid.

After about 5 attempts I gave up and went riding. Figured I would get back to it.

Have you set the Garmin 800 to recive a transmition from the GSC10 unit? Also the same needs to be done to receive a signal from a HRM.

I did just what the manual says and couldn't get it to connect. The heart rate monitor works fine.

Anyway I'll have another go, start from the start again.

Well, I also just got an 800. English model. I didn't get the cadence or heart gig just yet, will pick those up in the UK in a couple weeks.

Seems to record stuff, nice to see when riding.

But kind of a pain to get it going. I tried to get some route downloaded onto it, which I managed to do the morning before a ride. Cool, progress. pressed Go and off I went. While sipping coffee prior to setting out with a friend, realized I had no maps on it so the route was basically useless, back to iPhone technology on that one.

Fine, get home, buy UUD map, takes a couple hours to download the gig & a half. ugh. Wait wait wait. Download a few other garmin bits as per UUD instructions to get the thing onto the device. Wait type wait.

Eventually, Send to Device! Yay!

Oh no.... not enough space for all of Japan. Of course, I don't need it all, but it is just easier to grab the country. Off to Donki to get an SD card. drive, pay, return, plug in, try again. Took 4 hours to get it onto the device. Maybe I just need a new Mac. Or an excuse for another one.

Christmas is coming.

Seems to be all good now. Looking forward to the fun of getting the cadence & heart rate thingies going.

:bike:

I did just what the manual says and couldn't get it to connect. The heart rate monitor works fine.

Anyway I'll have another go, start from the start again.

Take the battery out of the GSC10 unit while the G800 is off replace the battery in the GSC10 unit and then turn everything back on again.

First impressions

I got my Garmin 800 from Wiggle and have now used it the last 2~3 weekends, with our Thursday/Friday Kofu - Tsuruga trip via Norikura/Takayama being the first real test. (Trip details are at: http://positivo-espresso.blogspot.com/ )

Once I customized the screens and uploaded the free regional map, and loaded the GPX tracks I had drawn on RidewithGPS, it worked nicely the first day of this trip. I may be imagining things, but the "grade" indicator seems to have a longer lag than on the Edge 705 -- not much help real time unless you are on a very steady grade hill.

I loaded the track for the trip from Kofu to Takayama, and then never prompted the unit to start navigation ... I just wanted to see the route marked on the screen's map. But the unit still told me when I went "off course" repeatedly, where the GPS track and "real" road did not agree. And even though I turned the "tones" off, I still got a twirping beep every time I went "off course." But these were minor inconveniences.

The real problem came on the morning of the second day. I had recharged the unit overnight and it seemed to be working fine, when suddenly it powered down. I tried repeatedly to restart it, but it shut off during the power up sequence, or powered up to a blank, white screen.

When I got back home, I tried to copy the "activity" files to my PC, and then restored the unit to its original condition, and it works fine now. But I cannot access the data for the trip -- and get an error message when I try to upload to RidewithGPS or import into Garmin Training Center on my PC. Hmmm.

Once I customized the screens and uploaded the free regional map, and loaded the GPX tracks I had drawn on RidewithGPS, it worked nicely the first day of this trip.

Which map are you using?

Which map are you using?

I am using one of the free maps with the odd Chinese romaji names on it that you can get at: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Mine is set up so it covers pretty much a 300 km range from Tokyo. ... ran off the edge in west Gifu/east Fukui.

I may buy the Micro-SD version of the UUD one with topo markings, for Christmas.

The real problem came on the morning of the second day. I had recharged the unit overnight and it seemed to be working fine, when suddenly it powered down. I tried repeatedly to restart it, but it shut off during the power up sequence, or powered up to a blank, white screen.
I saw something similar during Golden Week when I tried to record a multi-day contiguous ride as a single 'activity'. Once a single activity reaches 400-and-something km the Edge 800 has a meltdown. Could that be what you experienced?

Tom has been having similar issues with his Edge 800. I just find it incredible they would develop a newer model and not take on board what they had made to work on the Edge 705. Garmin still have a lot to learn when it comes to developing software.

.... And even though I turned the "tones" off, I still got a twirping beep every time I went "off course." But these were minor inconveniences.

When I got back home, I tried to copy the "activity" files to my PC, and then restored the unit to its original condition, and it works fine now. But I cannot access the data for the trip -- and get an error message when I try to upload to RidewithGPS or import into Garmin Training Center on my PC. Hmmm.

David, there is a way to disable that rattlesnake's rattle although you have to delve deep into the functions. As to the sudden power down, exactly the same happened to me on a recent tour with Ludwig. The previous day it was working just fine (almost for the entire ride until the last 10km when the map would freeze) but the next day after an overnight recharge, it went blank less than 3 hours into the ride.

I have since drained the battery on purpose, set the device back to "factory settings", deleted all my routes/waypoints and uploaded the latest version and this seems to have done the trick. So far (some 5 more or less long rides later), no more sudden blackouts and considerably prolonged battery life (manages 200km of which half done in active routing/navigation mode). I very often find that the device does lead me onto fantastic roads, including narrow wooden bridges and unnamed, obscure toges. I'm starting to like my Edge 800...:)

I upgraded the software today and now whenever I start the unit i get an
"invalid jnx file" message. Is that related to the map?

There is new firmware available, v2.40.

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.40:
  • Improved training page setup and increased number of user defined training pages to 5.
  • Added a lap summary training page.
  • Increased number of bike profiles to 5.
  • Added Normalized Power (NP), Intensity Factor (IF), and Training Stress Score (TSS) data metrics.
  • Made improvements to courses.
  • Made improvements to workouts.
  • Made improvements to map drawing.
  • Fixed issues with Auto Scroll causing the device to become unreponsive.
  • Added support for left / right balance for supported power meters.

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.40:
  • Added Normalized Power (NP), Intensity Factor (IF), and Training Stress Score (TSS) data metrics.

OHHHH LA LA !

TSS, Normalized Power

TSS, Hmmm. If Garmin supports those readings then I guess they may put Training Peaks out of business.

Might need to put the Quarq powermeter back on this winter (though I was having trouble with double or triple pickup when I tried it last winter -- my power would shift among 175, 350 and 525 watts and back and forth with no change in effort on a flat, straight road, and so pretty much useless, despite changing batteries and checking magnets etc ... after working pretty well in 2009 and 2010). And what is the point, unless I sign on to the Cyclist's Training Bible .... Hmmm.

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.40 [...]

Sad to see that they haven't addressed the "will catastrophically fail requiring a factory reset on activities longer than 417 km" feature. I suppose this doesn't affect enough of their customer base for them to give a toss.

However, as consolation...
  • Increased number of bike profiles to 5.
I think that's justification for owning more bikes. To get the most out of my Garmin. You understand, right, darling? I'll just call Tim...

Back
Top Bottom