What's new

Tech Garmin Edge (520/800?)

I mean my literally local bike shop here in Japan. Do you not need the J-version with Japanese road maps?

I mean my literally local bike shop here in Japan. Do you not need the J-version with Japanese road maps?
You can download Open Street Map (OSM) maps of Japan (in English) for free, make a microSD card and use that for Edge 705/800/810/1000/Touring, or upload them direct to the internal memory of the Edge 520.

Open Street Map is fine for most purposes. However it is crowd-drawn so YMMV. There are not as many points of interest (POI) on OSM as on commercial maps, and some of the spellings are very strange, but when new roads appear (quite common in Japan!) they are added quickly to the map. If your Edge product can follow roads, this map will work for on-the-fly navigation.

Here are the destructions: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

An alternate is the UpUpDown commercial map. This is what I use. Buying this map plus a US/EU Garmin is usually still cheaper than getting a Japanese Garmin with map included. However, this map product has not been updated since 2012 and the distributor is unresponsive as to when a new version will appear, so there are a few roads missing. If your Edge product can follow roads, this map will work for on-the-fly navigation.

So I ended up buying a Garmin 800 Edge and after some uneccessary faffing around I managed to set it up with OpenMaps (different to the one @Half-Fast Mike posted which didn't seem to render street names correctly for some bizzare reason).

I'm definitely glad I bought an Edge with Maps I'm the type of guy who doesn't really have a general plan on most of my rides so being able to input a location on the spot and getting a route there is a game-changer. For the usual and planned holiday routes I can always use RidewithGPS and load it up whenever I need it. Good stuff all round!

So I ended up buying a Garmin 800 Edge and after some uneccessary faffing around I managed to set it up with OpenMaps (different to the one @Half-Fast Mike posted which didn't seem to render street names correctly for some bizzare reason).
Can you say where you got the map set, so that I don't point people to the wrong place in future? Or add this information to the wiki?

Hi, So the map set Kyoazu recommends are not very detailed, they have major roads but not much else.
The ones I downloaded are these -
2016-08-09 gmapsupp_160809.zip gmapsupp_160809cntr.zip

I have a question. If I find a more detailed set of Open source maps Should I remove this file set from the SD card
or if I have the two sets on the card are they likely to conflict with each other ?
(Actually mike's link gave me the answer to this.)

So my question, any more detailed open source maps of Tokyo (kanto for that matter) that people
are using ? I'm sorry I'm new to this so it might just be the settings on the Garmin Touring I bought that need to be set for increased detail??? Maybe because im currently in the boon docks?

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom