What's new

Garmin Edge 705

I thought this thread might be a good place to ask this question:

Does anyone know the max capacity/speed of microSD cards that the 605/705 will work with?

I wasted some ¥ on a high speed 4gb jobbie, but when inserted into the 605 it won't even finish booting up.

I asked Garmin support, but .... well, they are a just a black hole in which questions go in and answers never come out.

The huge range of microSD cards available here in Japan makes buying the 'right' one a bit of a lottery.

How about a discount?

Standard Ground Rate (Shipping to JP) $50.50

50 bucks shipping is too much.... I'm one click away if you can give me a discount...

My first thought exactly, Pete! :)

What about a TCC discount or a group purchase?

My first thought exactly, Pete! :)

What about a TCC discount or a group purchase?

Frankly, our prices only leave us with about $10 to $15 net per unit so we don't have much there to play with... Gotta make something!

BUT, we're glad to combine shipping on a group order. We can ship 3 units for $75 total if packaged together and paid by the same credit card in US dollars. Please email us at [email protected] so we can take the details off of this forum - if you are interested in this "deal". Be sure and reference the $75 shipping to Japan in the text of your email (I don't handle all the emails here, I have help - don't want to miss it).

We're here to make it work! We ride and love to see others ride too.

Frankly, I bought my original Edge 305 Bundle before GeoManGear existed. After using it for a couple of weeks I realized what potential it had. Frankly, it was the impetus for starting the company. We've now sold between 7,000 and 8,000 Edge 305 Bundles!

Thank you!!!

well there it is!
Seeing as I bought Geoman into the thread I am willing to have it all go on my credit card and shipped here and can then takyubin it down to you guys.
If you want I can get the numbers together packages and then send e mails or pms to all who are interested. Seriously all the news on MTBR and RBR is that Geoman delivers top service and as a bonus he's a rider, has a moots(thats why I'm happy to send my card info to him).
Either respond here on this thread or let me know by PM.
Cheers
Simon in Aomori

well there it is!
Seeing as I bought Geoman into the thread I am willing to have it all go on my credit card and shipped here and can then takyubin it down to you guys.
If you want I can get the numbers together packages and then send e mails or pms to all who are interested. Seriously all the news on MTBR and RBR is that Geoman delivers top service and as a bonus he's a rider, has a moots(thats why I'm happy to send my card info to him).
Either respond here on this thread or let me know by PM.
Cheers
Simon in Aomori

I LOVE my Moots Mooto-X 29'er (funny you should mention it)!

Thanks Simon. We appreciate the support very much.

I thought this thread might be a good place to ask this question:

Does anyone know the max capacity/speed of microSD cards that the 605/705 will work with?

I wasted some ¥ on a high speed 4gb jobbie, but when inserted into the 605 it won't even finish booting up.

I asked Garmin support, but .... well, they are a just a black hole in which questions go in and answers never come out.

The huge range of microSD cards available here in Japan makes buying the 'right' one a bit of a lottery.

I've been advised that the limit is 256MB on the Edge 705... which, as it turns out, is ample for a very large basemap. My 256MB Garmin brand topo card covers an area of 4 or 5 western US states on my 705 - a very large geographic region, physically. BTW, the Garmin topo on microSD is VERY convenient but may only be available for US geography...

This should save you some $$$ on microSD's...

:)

Seeing as I bought Geoman into the thread I am willing to have it all go on my credit card and shipped here and can then takyubin it down to you guys. If you want I can get the numbers together packages and then send e mails or pms to all who are interested. Either respond here on this thread or let me know by PM.i

That's very kind of you, Simon! I for one am definitely in. More details through PM.

The eagle has landed.
Thanks Kiwisimon...

Garmin dekinai no de.... anybody tell me some short cuts?

I've downloaded...

Garmin Training Center.
MapSource

Any other easy pointers would be appreciated... I hate reading manuals that don't have the answers for what you are looking for....

Cheers....

Took the 705 for a 40km of ( 3 hills). Trying to figure it all out.
Took me a while to figure out how to display heart rate and cadence which is what I like to see... With no map uploaded yet it still plotted my way and I had confidence to try and get lost and found some nice new hills in the process without getting lost.

At first arrival I was a little unimpressed but now that I'm figuring it out I can see it was a good purchase. All I have to do now is decide on a map and figure out how to upload it. I downloaded a torrential Garmin Japan Citynavigator V8.0 (Jap) but being a novice at that, I have no idea if it will work, or how to try and see if it will work...

There were some maps mentioned on this thread or another... will try and get my hands on one of those... that 8700 yen one looks like it may do the trick.

I set the cadence alarm for 90 to 100 which was not a good idea for a few hill climbs so changed it to 40 to 120.
The heart rate monitor warning I set to 148 and it didn't seem to work either until I really pushed it up a hill and then the cadence and heart rate alarms were going off one after the other... CADENCE TOO LOW HEART RATE TOO HIGH CADENCE TOO LOW HEART RATE TOO HIGH.... sounded like I was married to this thing and it was only our first date....

:mad:

EDIT;
I paid for the down loadable map from http://uud.info/ unlocked it after much frustration... uploaded it successfully to the unit... got my satellite fixes and zoomed in. It was perfectly showing in great detail this little back road in the far reaches of Hakuba (where I am for a few weeks) with all the areas labeled in English. Very impressed.

Congrats on the 705. I found the 605 to have a steep learning curve - but unfortunately I keep sliding down the curve again and again ...

The updown map is great - but can be a bit tricky to decipher while out in the boondocks. I think it's a matter of turning on just enough detail to show the landmarks - but not too much to fill the screen with crap.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but out of the box the unit had a slightly different GPS setting than Google Earth. GE co-ordinates punched into the unit put locations a few hundred meters from their actual location. I think I went into the Garmin settings somewhere, and changed something. Now GE co-ordinates work fine on it.

If you buy a microSD card, don't go any bigger than 2GB, and don't buy anything other than a standard speed card. Bigger, or 'faster', cards will probably prevent the unit from booting up.

Are you using Mac or PC. I had a flurry of Net searching when I got my Garmin, and I found a few interesting sites for downloading tools.

Are you using Mac or PC. I had a flurry of Net searching when I got my Garmin, and I found a few interesting sites for downloading tools.

I'm on a PC.

Next step for me is to figure out how to utilize the mini SD slot. Can I upload routes and maps to a card from the map from http://uud.info/ ?

After I understand that part, I think I have figured it all out....

I'm on a mac and having trouble getting detailed map of Tohoku. Snoogly any ideas? Failing that maybe have to get maps uploaded from a PC machine. How did you get on Peter and Thomas?

Took me a while to find this page again (Garmin are nearly as bad as Adobe ..), but here are the Garmin apps for Mac OSX.

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

The MapInstall app should let you upload maps to your device. I haven't tried it yet - as I uploaded my maps from a PC.

If you got a USA Garmin, I don't think Japanese lang maps will work on it - but I may well be wrong. The map I am using is the English map from UpupDown

http://www.uud.info/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=45b25336305f649d221f6650948f74bc

Back
Top Bottom