What's new

Garmin Edge 705

The first time I used it I didn't know how to turn it on properly. I'd plug it in to my Garmin push the on button and 3 lights would come on and then nothing.
No reaction from the Garmin.
Since then I realized you need to hold down the on button for about 3 seconds. This really turns it on. However, I haven't had to use it again, so don't know much else yet.

I'll let my Garmin battery run low on purpose and then see if I can power it up with the battery.

The battery does look very sleek though and you could pass it off as a black ipod. I'm sure it will work fine next time I try to use it.

Bummer. Looks like I'll be needing that usb charger sooner than I thought ..

On my last 2 rides my 605 ran out of juice after only 6 hours. That's not good is it? It used to last MUCH longer.

The thought of trying to read the Garmin manual fills me with horror. Does anyone know if there is a way to resolve this? - apart from throwing the GPS under a bus.

On my last 2 rides my 605 ran out of juice after only 6 hours. That's not good is it? It used to last MUCH longer.

The thought of trying to read the Garmin manual fills me with horror. Does anyone know if there is a way to resolve this? - apart from throwing the GPS under a bus.

just received the Edge 705 this morning. looking forward to testing it this weekend. Thanks GEOMAN..:)

hi snoogly..
about ur battery, try not to over discharge the battery. Lithium ion has such charateristics whereby if it drops below a certain voltage, the cell can be easily damage. you may need to cycle your battery and see if it improves back to normal condition. (perhaps use it until it drops no lower than 20% and recharge the cell again). anyway i believe the Edge series should come with some protection circuit to auto shutdown the unit should the voltage drops below a certain threshold.

I was riding in the dark a lot and had the back light on full.
This seems to use a lot of battery too.

Last Sunday coming home from Utsunomiya (120km) I had to turn it off as I got close to home as it was about to go flat.... [in the dark again]

Looks like there are some common, bad, battery issues with the 605/705.

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php

After I recover from today's ride, I will hunt those forums for some good tips.

I tried contacting Garmin support - but of course I couldn't even send them a message. Their support truly sux ass!

GEOMAN - I didn't buy this from you - but are you familiar with this issue?

Getting the maps on

Can I ask if anyone here has personally loaded the English map of Japan from UpUpDown onto a MicroSD card in a Garmin Edge 705 using MapSource and successfully used the map to navigate?

A friend of mine seems to have all the requisite parts, but he's not been able to get beyond the head-scratching stage.

--Mike--

Yup, I have. I bought a 705 from eBay in the US and had it shipped to me here. I also bought the Japan map CD from UpUpDown and a 2GB SD card from Bic Camera. I already had MapSource from a previous Garmin unit.

When everything arrived, I loaded the Japan Map onto the SD card using MapSource and when I plugged it into the 705, it worked just fine.

I can map out a route on MapSource or other mapping software and load it into the 705 and it will navigate. The only problem is that when you move off the recommended road, the unit will try to regenerate a route based on your current location and sometimes it gets stuck regenerating the route. Other than that, the unit is working fine for me, and I'm getting around the advertised 15 hour battery life.

Firmware

New firmware is available. v2.5

A long list of fixes/changes, & my screen seems brighter now (though that may be because I wiped a budgie sneeze off my specs).

If you are a Mac person, quite a few Garmin software updates are here:

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

Not really sure what Road Trip is, but it's worth downloading and playing with.

Hi, I'm finally thinking of buy a Garmin Edge and notice it's very reasonable if bought from the UK due to sterling's decline. Does anyone know if the Japanese English maps work with the Euro version?

Hi, I'm finally thinking of buy a Garmin Edge and notice it's very reasonable if bought from the UK due to sterling's decline. Does anyone know if the Japanese English maps work with the Euro version?

hi idrowley,

no problem!
should work just fine.

my understanding is basically any version of Garmin Edge 705 (Euro, USA so fourth) will work on the Japanese English maps.
yep, price much cheaper compared to 2months ago when we purchase it.

cheers!

Garmin

Hi,
has anyone succsessfully managed to install a Japanese language firmware on their Garmin device? I'm considering the Garmin 60CSx for my tour later this year and I would really prefer it to display kanji instead of romaji.

Edit: After about three hours of research on the internet I came to the conclusion that navigating through Japan with a GPS device bought in Europe/US does always include a tradeoff. I could use the Upupdown maps, which only support Romaji or I could get a Japanese version of the CSx which is ridiculously expensive. The japanese version would enable me to use the maps from iiyo.net which seem to be preferable to the uud maps in any respect. Maybe I should just get an IPhone and use it to check my location from time to time. Frustrating. :(

Well no they don't and thats the point. Iiyo.net has an excellent japanese language map of Japan which is of much higher quality than other products. They are the ones who provide the maps for the japanese language versions of the Garmin devices. For testing purposes I actually downloaded http://tiny.cc/het11 this only to realize that it's only usable with either a Windows Mobile based PPC or with a Japanese language Garmin device. Since neither is an option for me, I decided to just give up on this.

Firmware

Regarding the japanese Firmware for the 60csx: I recieved a unit shipped from UK yesterday and unsuccessfully tried to load it up with the japanese firmware. I am 100% sure that Japanese and European units are technically absolutely the same. However the unit ID somehow seems to tell whether its a japanese device or not. Too bad as this would be a real good service to the customers.

Garmin Edge Power Adapter...

Need help....

Just received from Wiggle my first Garmin Edge (205)...unfortunately I cannot charge it as the provided power adapters (2 kinds, UK and EC I guess) for the A/C charger do not fit Japanese standard wall outlets.

Should I put a different adapter on the adapter that came with the unit?

Thanks for helping me out!:warau:

Usb

TOM - I have the 305 and it was purchased in the UK. Just use your PC and the USB cable to charge it. I never use the mains charger. Also you can buy nice little USB battery based chargers for longer trips.

chazzer

Need help....
Should I put a different adapter on the adapter that came with the unit?

Look at the label on your charger/adapter/transformer. If it says "Input 100-240V AC" or words to that effect, then you will be fine using a plug pin modifier to stick it in a Japanese outlet.

Although this applies to most modern appliances, I still see many folks with ex-UK equipment unnecessarily plugged into 100V->240V step-up transformers.

--Mike--

Back
Top Bottom