What's new

My Bike GS Astuto chunky carbon frame

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
x-post from https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/how-about-a-members-bike-showcase-forum.6194/

Let me introduce you to my bike, Eric.

Eric has a frame, wheels, handlebars, pedals, and all that stuff. We go places together, sometimes with other friends. (6,324 km so far this year, shared among four bikes but one pair of legs.)

74065_10151793760680259_55733777_n-jpg.10957

Eric and I, in the rain

486579_10151357835893596_169007261_n-jpg.10958

Harem of Erics with bonus @leicaman-infuriating front light

615254_10151143759538596_259373279_o-jpg.10959

Eric taking a swim #GarminSideDown

10873441_10152591068808596_5407687467298401238_o-jpg.10960

There are two sides to every Eric

Eric's frame was purchased from @GSAstuto in 2011 after a crash (detailed here) destroyed the original Felt F4C frame. Most other components were transferred over.

I love her asymmetric Half-Fast colour scheme, but the paint is starting to fade from being left out in the sun too long. Another problem is that a water bottle mounting bolt rusted into the captive nut on the frame, so one of the bidon cages is held on by electric tape.

She hasn't been out in a while, as she's attached to the indoor trainer in my room for occasional Zwifting. For now, other bikes take care of the outside work.

She weighs around 8.6 kg.

Drivetrain is mostly Ultegra 6700(?) with a Dura Ace rear mech, i.e., what was on the Felt when I bought it. I have used various wheels - mostly Mavic Ksyrium Elite, and briefly some GS Astuto 80 mm carbon tubulars. On there now are 50 mm PowerTap carbon clinchers - never used outside!

Last edited:
Harem of Erics with bonus @leicaman-infuriating front light
Now that must be an old photo as I swapped that Arione VS with you for pint of beer and something else I forget, over a year ago. Finally got round to trying it out on one of the bikes for some indoor training the other week. It was a comfortable fit but failed to keep the fella from falling asleep on a 2 hr session. Now in the growing pile of "seats I will get round to selling at some point"

By the way, does anyone know if any of the shops round here loan out Selle SMPs? - one of the few seat types I haven't tried.

Now that must be an old photo as I swapped that Arione VS with you for pint of beer and something else I forget, over a year ago. Finally got round to trying it out on one of the bikes for some indoor training the other week. It was a comfortable fit but failed to keep the fella from falling asleep on a 2 hr session. Now in the growing pile of "seats I will get round to selling at some point"

By the way, does anyone know if any of the shops round here loan out Selle SMPs? - one of the few seat types I haven't tried.

I know it's probably been said before and I know you more than likely know this but... chances are, if "your fella is falling asleep", then your position is wrong more than the saddle. I know they are not all equal but most saddles should be in ball park (pardon the pun). I had trouble with my saddle (and was obsessed at finding the right one) before I got a bike fit and then the trouble went away. Could be wrong of course and you've had a recent fit, but worth thinking about based on how much money saddles cost and how much damage a sleepy fella might be doing you.

I reckon there is a fair bit of truth in the above. I had a similar issue a while back. Moved my seat around and found that the previous position was pressing down on my 'nob vein' in my groin (#science). After re-positioning, I have had no problems. With numbness.

Don't disagree but I have a fit connumdrum. I basically need to set my seat further back (as identifed in a fitting) to offset the abnormal length of my upper legs so my knees are more over the top of the pedal at the 9pm position, but I have short arms so it puts me in a more aggresive position. I'm very comfortable with the more aggressive position on the new bike (which has a shorter reach) but it is still tilting the pelvis slightly further forward than my other bikes when on the drops. I've also found I'm spending a lot more time on the drops because they are more comfortable on the new bike (and becuase Trainer Road seems to be liberally suggesting I do so on just about every session!!).
I have found the perfect seat to avoid the problem - a Specialized Romin. Comfortable to sit on, no pressure underneath. But the nose on the thing is nearly 5mm wider the the average seat and rubs the indside of my thighs to distraction. Thankfully I just had it on loan from Nalshima, so the search continues...

Back
Top Bottom