What's new

How hard is it to.............?

astroman

Speeding Up
Mar 19, 2007
One for the experts in TCC as I notice some of you do your own builds and upgrades.

I would like to upgrade some parts on my Cervello P2C. Probablly will not make me any faster, but my bike will look cooler. :cool:

1. Change the brake levers. The stock ones suck.

http://www.visiontechusa.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=191&pid=85

2. Change the clip on aero bar extensions. I have the "ski jump" type and want to get carbon R (or S) bends that are very popular. Will keep the FSA Vison base bars that they are mounted on. I have DA gear levers mounted on the aero bars.

http://www.visiontechusa.com/fly.aspx?taxid=189&layout=product

I have a basic bike tool kit, but one thing I lack is cable cutters. Any other tools needed? I have had a look at the Park tools site and FSA has instructions, and while both seem doable, I am not sure if I can actually do the work by myself. My aim here is to be more self sufficient with bike repairs.

Shall I give it ago? I suppose I can allways take my bike into a shop if I stuff it up.

Cheers,

Keren

Try undoing what is on the bike and then re-doing it with the original parts, if it works then replace them with you new bits, just watch your cable lengths and get some new wrap when you buy your cable cutter. The shimano one works really well.I hope you have some good quality hex wrenches and not multi tool ones. Give it a try and like you said if you stuff it up take it to a bike shop and ask if you can watch them do it. Good luck. one more thing secure your front fork or wheel to stop it twisting around, an old tube wrapped around the main triangle and front wheel works well. Oh and support the bike with a good support. It also helps to have a real tasty stout in the fridge for wen the job is done, reward yourself.

Try undoing what is on the bike and then re-doing it with the original parts, if it works then replace them with you new bits, just watch your cable lengths and get some new wrap when you buy your cable cutter. The shimano one works really well.I hope you have some good quality hex wrenches and not multi tool ones. Give it a try and like you said if you stuff it up take it to a bike shop and ask if you can watch them do it. Good luck. one more thing secure your front fork or wheel to stop it twisting around, an old tube wrapped around the main triangle and front wheel works well. Oh and support the bike with a good support. It also helps to have a real tasty stout in the fridge for wen the job is done, reward yourself.

Thanks! All good advice, especially the last bit about a drink!

Keren

Yeah you gotta go for the maintanence yourself. I am in the midst of building up a complete carbon road bike from a bare frame. I`ve done a lot of work on mountain bikes in the past. The only thing that seemed too intimidating was facing the head tube - prepping it for the headset bearing races by physically shaving it down. I don`t have the expensive tools for that job and also don`t really have the inclination to learn from mistakes! But everything else is relatively intuitive, and if you`re using higher-end gear it`s so well-made that working with the stuff is really satisfying.

The advice about the hex-wrenches is really good. But I would add that with all tools, try heading to the homecenter first rather than buying at the bike shops here. You can get better quality tools more cheaply....

Also, I decided to buy a work stand - amazingly good purchase. I got one from Minoura for 12,000 from an online shop in Japan called `HITLINE`. The wretched Y`s road has a Topeak workstand on sale right now for 10 or 11 thousand.

Good luck!

Hello Davad.
The things you mentioned about head set was really true for me too. To tell the truth, I was almost die by loosing the control of handle bar with abnormal vibration and incapability of giving it proper direction to go in the midst of descending a big slope with 40 km/h or so.
The cause of the problem I got at that time was destruction of some baring balls to decrease frictions of metal parts. I think I can safely say that at the very moment of trouble, the handle bar was almost fixed and I could not give it any movement to keep balance.:warau:

Massa

Look at this similar trouble on motor bike.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=rMwDmN-s8Cc

Yeah, it was really a nightmare. The most important thing that was taught by a certain bike mechanic is to fasten your headset or you get trouble of loosing control of your bike.
Anyway, let's have fun to build and maintain our bikes by ourselves.;)

Massa

cabling

after you cut your cable ends with the cutters be sure to file them flat . The ends will be slightly bent/crimped by the action of the cutter. The better the cutter he less the crimp. This will let you cabling run better, applies for your brakes but more so for gearing. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom