What's new

In the news...

Middle-aged Men in Lycra (from BCCJ Acumen)

Ten British cyclists—who happily describe themselves as keen amateurs—are to cycle 320km from Tokyo to Fukushima Prefecture to raise funds for the disaster-hit residents of Minamisoma.
The event emerged from discussions during Brits at Lunch, a monthly event for expats. Ways were considered in which the British community in Tokyo might assist those affected by the worst natural disaster in living memory to strike Japan. (read on)

How to build a bike: The revival of a British craft [BBC News]

Sales of bikes in the UK are up. But not everyone is content with buying a mass-produced bicycle. Some are looking for something different, which is helping the revival of a traditional British craft.
Peter Bird likens himself to a tailor. At his workshop at Ironbridge Gorge in Shropshire he takes his clients' inside-leg measurements and finds out their exact needs. [read on]
_67046526_bikemontage.jpg

some frame-builder in that BBC article said:
"People in a recession tend to buy wiser and invest their money in something that will last longer. If you have a bicycle that is especially made for you, you are investing in something that will last you forever."

Or anyway until somebody nicks it to raise cash for smack or similar. (This is Britain we're talking about.)

Funny article: It doesn't seem to consider the notion that different seat tube extensions, different dimensions of stem, etc etc, can transform a bike that's just right for somebody not very unlike you into a bike that's just right for you.

I'm all in favour of independent bike-makers (I even posted a review of a book about British frame-makers that got me clobbered for spamming); but I think that uninformed talk about the mass-produced alternative just sets up independent bike-makers for undeserved ridicule.

Say what you will about Lance Armstrong, the man raised awareness of testicular cancer. (Or anyway that's what I always read. I for one was aware of it long before I was aware of LA. But let's not quibble.)

In Brazil this role is now being performed by Senhor Testiculo (and here). (Possibly NSFW, if your coworkers have a delicate disposition.)

Just the other day I saw a man in bright yellow "Livestrong" togs. Now, a "Senhor Testiculo" jersey, hmm....

RIP Philippe Gaumont - another victim of years of drug abuse.

There has been talk of it during every race I've watched and it basically comes down to " why would a sponsored team have these lawyer tabs now as they can simply get the manufacturer to produce the bike/fork without them?"

If they are filed down they break the rule but if they were never there all is fine.

There has been talk of it during every race I've watched and it basically comes down to " why would a sponsored team have these lawyer tabs now as they can simply get the manufacturer to produce the bike/fork without them?"

If they are filed down they break the rule but if they were never there all is fine.

Actually it's easier to keep the lawyer tabs and just design a new QR skewer that has a larger opening clasp.

Actually it's easier to keep the lawyer tabs and just design a new QR skewer that has a larger opening clasp.

I haven't heard any of the commentators mention that one. They all seem bemused that the rule is being upheld and say the simple work around that the teams employ is never having them on the bikes in the first place. Is a larger opening clasp being used widely?

The french teams have been using them since the rules were introduced.

Back
Top Bottom