What's new

It's wild out there

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
On Saturday I went for a ride out into the mountains with @saibot . It was a rather lengthy ride with a lot of climbing so we were out there pretty much all day. Climbing back up the Daibosatsu line from Enzan and over Yanagisawa toge, we reached the top at sunset. As we started to descend towards Okutama, I thought it might be a good idea to tell @saibot to take it easy on the descent as dusk is the time when most wild animals are active. I'm very glad I did. I think we saw about 6 deer, of which I think four were on the road.

I was ahead of @saibot when we went round a fast left hander. On the inside of the corner was a big deer. I startled it and it darted out, right in front of me. I grabbed the brakes and did a lovely rear wheel skid as I zoomed around the corner, just missing the deer. Luckily we were taking it easy. If we had been going full pelt, I think I would have hit it. And judging from its size, I would have definitely lost. Those antlers wouldn't have made for a comfy landing at 70+kph.

Just thought I'd warn everyone out there about the dangers of animals out on the roads, especially around the golden hours (both morning and night).

In the mountains between Sano and on the way up to the bigger climbs near Nikko, there are troops of monkeys which run into the road and surround you. This has happened a few times to me in the last few weeks, and I reckon it could end pretty badly. So yeah, take care. Not sure how to avoid these monkeys but there you go.

Japanese badger. I was cycling up Yabitsu early April last year when I rounded a bend and startled one which was on the uphill side of the road. The copper monster belted across the road in front of me and then realised it was near shear drop on the other side so turned and stood his ground. The growling quickly persuaded me to alter my line from the ensuing bite that came towards my pedals - much to the amusement of Aussie Tony who was cycling a few meters back (and by now on the opposite side of the road)

Someone had run a monkey down on the back roads of Minamiboso today, god awful smell and flies like you wouldn't believe!

A wild pig ran out in front of @Naomi up in Chichibu, near the Ryusei hillclimb course. She had to brake hard enough to lift the back wheel off the ground....I dread to think what would have happened had she hit it at speed.

Ran over the tail of a massive snake yesterday and narrowly missed another one today. I'm cool with snakes and all, but still.

Back
Top Bottom