What's new

Today July 2015

Did you ever grow into that jersey?

Slick looking machine though. How many sprockets?

That's my 'winter jersey' - warmest thing I've ever owned but not exactly race fit!

Ratio on that was 48x15...

In this heat there are good times to be had when you get home. Things like cold showers. Today before I hit the shower I came across a container of cut watermelon in the fridge. It was possibly the nicest thing I have ever eaten in my entire life.

130km out to Iriyama and back was, frankly, an absurd endeavour today.

I count myself, and anyone else who got out in the weather this weekend and smashed some hills, of questionable mental stability.

A RealFeel from Accuweather of 42°C just isn't right.

130km out to Iriyama and back was, frankly, an absurd endeavour today.

I count myself, and anyone else who got out in the weather this weekend and smashed some hills, of questionable mental stability.

A RealFeel from Accuweather of 42°C just isn't right.

What time did you go out?

@TCC - 6:30am but made the mistake of waiting around for almost an hour and a half in total for people who I shouldn't have.

Yesterday did 80-odd km through the hills of Saitama with @macrophotofly and @luka. That was severely mental, although we all had our first meal at Café Hana which was delightful if slowly-served.

Today I embarked on a Hakoné odyssey with two other Half-Fasters but the heat, the old-Tokaido climb, and fatigue from the day before were not a good combination. I suppose it's good to sense one's vincibility every now and then. Got through the Hakoné complex and took the train from Gotemba instead of riding over Ashigara to Matsuda as originally intended.

Next time!

overslept till 8 today. tried to leave around 8:30 for a cooldown spin in arakawa, but the heat got the best of me, headed back home after 30 minutes in the oven.

Yesterday after I'd ridden my old steel steed Sloth well over 100 km (and after all the sane HF people had bagged their bikes and got into the train), HF Ira and I got to the fast section along the Tsurumi psyclepath. We cruised along it at about 30, which I thought was pretty good considering, and which also should have appeased the cycling god (Kalavinka?) for one weekend.

Today I had a few things to do in Tokyo. Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum, so Sloth and I ignored the masochists overtaking us and took the flats at about 17 km/h.

I love small chainwheels and big sprockets.

Just to add to how hot it was today:
I did some climbing at Tsukuba and can honestly say I've never had so much sweat dripping off my face.
It was like a dripping tap.
And, I started and finished early.
When I finished, the temp was 36.
After driving home, it was 37, incredible!

Yeah it is unreal. I just can't handle it.

Went out at about 4.30pm today for a standard river run, and even though it was cooling down, I still had no power and was riding through treacle the whole way. Serious humidity, even that many hours after the peak.

Early mornings and late evenings for me until the heat peaks in a few weeks and starts to come down.

The fact that they have scheduled the 2020 Olympics for the end of July into the start of August is mind boggling. How is it going to work?!?!?

Yeah it's way too hot out there. I could only do some short (50km) river runs this weekend, and though the Arakawa was bearable at 7am I wouldn't have liked to have been out any later. After dying on Monday's ride I made sure to take a swig of juice every five minutes. Seemed to do the trick.

My run of bad luck continues... after getting divorced in January I've been doing eff all... moping around like a fat tnuc...working a lot.. exercising little. Today (yesterday) due to the heat, my car's windscreen cracked... took it to the dealer..they then found that one of my headlights has been waterlogged due to another crack somewhere and that needs repairing as well. Insurance will cover the windscreen... BUT...The headlight (full unit) is going to cost over ¥90000. Shaken due in October...tires need replacing as well....Anyway...they can't fix it all within the next 2 weeks so YAY!!! I'll have to get off my arse and ride to work tomorrow. 3 locations and about 50km round trip... Silver lining on the blaring sun...

Bizarrely I am not minding the heat, providing I moving quickly enough and have enough water. As Mike Half-Frome mentions above, the Sky-reserve-team-Z-Dave Brailsford-would-be-embarassed-to-know-us-Half-Fast-sub-section took to the Saitama hills on Saturday to explore Shiraishi, Hana Cafe, 二本木峠, and Kasayama.
Half-Frome, Luka Rowe and myself (errr Warren "G"??) enjoyed the hills, especially that last "wall". However unlike the real "G", I abandonned the Garmin Jaune on a regular basis to spring up the wee hillocks. No idea if my time on Shiraishi was any good - looks like my garmin wandered a few times so I think I missed one or two of the regular Strava sections, but pleased with a 4th on 二本木峠 in that heat
Ride on Strava here

29:30 on shiraishi is nothing to tell granny about. You should be aiming around 25-26 min if you are riding regularly and consider yourself decent.

But its still 15minutes better than my last ascent.

Bizarrely I am not minding the heat, providing I moving quickly enough and have enough water. As Mike Half-Frome mentions above, the Sky-reserve-team-Z-Dave Brailsford-would-be-embarassed-to-know-us-Half-Fast-sub-section took to the Saitama hills on Saturday to explore Shiraishi, Hana Cafe, 二本木峠, and Kasayama.
Half-Frome, Luka Rowe and myself (errr Warren "G"??) enjoyed the hills, especially that last "wall". However unlike the real "G", I abandonned the Garmin Jaune on a regular basis to spring up the wee hillocks. No idea if my time on Shiraishi was any good - looks like my garmin wandered a few times so I think I missed one or two of the regular Strava sections, but pleased with a 4th on 二本木峠 in that heat
Ride on Strava here

Back
Top Bottom