What's new

July 2016

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Come on, folks--it's over eight hours into July already!

Good visit with a supposed expert doc yesterday. Tentative hip replacement surgery scheduled just before O-bon. Maybe this fall I won't be a cripple any more. :)

Maybe this fall I won't be a cripple any more.
Wishing you all the best in your recovery! Having started cycling in 2015 and ridden about 6,000 km in the course of that year, I set myself a goal of doing 10,000 km in 2016. So far I have roughly 1,000 km per month, so have revised this upwards to 12,000 km. I prefer Tokyo winters to summers, so I don't know if I'll be able to hold this volume over the next 3 months, but will do my best. It's a great hobby indeed, and I'm very glad I've taken it up.

12334.png

It was a pretty flat month for me. Only got one mountain ride done. Spent a lot of time trundling along the rivers, bringing a new rider up to half-fast speed. Still I reached the arbitrary Stravr 1250 km quota (including commutes) and the climbing award thingy. So... yay. Looking forward to the Norikura charity ride in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed for good weather.

SafariScreenSnapz002.jpg

SafariScreenSnapz001.jpg

Did nichiitsu today with a bunch of friends.

This is one of my favorite rides. It's always humbling to see such grand landscapes.image.jpg

The local government has boarded up the buildings so doesn't seem like people can enter now. Also the descent after the tunnel is sketchy as fuck. Lots of loose stones, leaves, potholes etc. Almost crashed on an exceptionally large pothole.

Relevant Product Review for Summer in Japan
Used an Elite Deboyo as one of my bottles today on a long ride in the heat. It's a steel vacuum thermos with a sports cap that fits in a bottle cage. Works too well at keeping things cool, as the ice I put in there hardly melted after hours on the bike. Just kept topping it up with water from the normal bottle, and sometimes with ice from the conbini.
That was the very strong pro, here are the cons.
280 grams. It's made of steel. I'm looking for something similar but probably made out of aluminium. Maybe the Elite Secia, but can't find any weight info on it.
The sports cap is kind of shite. Can't squeeze the thing, obviously, so you just have to suck on it in an awkward way, and water comes out much slower than you'd really like. Impossible to use going full gas, but decent swigs can be taken while going easy or at traffic lights.
Rating: 5/7 heat strokes

Edit: according to bike24 the Elite Secia is 210 grams, but the inside is polycarbonate so I guess that means it doesn't have a vacuum. Thermal performance is probably much worse than the Deboyo then.

Last edited:
This morning, while cycling back home, an insect of type unknown got through the vent on my helmet and stung me
on top of my head and on my forehead. Very painful - not the best start to the week....

Come on, folks--it's over eight hours into July already!

Good visit with a supposed expert doc yesterday. Tentative hip replacement surgery scheduled just before O-bon. Maybe this fall I won't be a cripple any more. :)
Are they recommending cycling as a recovery? If I can help you to be positioned on your bike after the accident I'd be happy to help. It may be covered by your insurance to do so as well. Just a thought

Reactions: jdd
Are they recommending cycling as a recovery? If I can help you to be positioned on your bike after the accident I'd be happy to help. It may be covered by your insurance to do so as well. Just a thought

Hey there,

Thanks for the offer--I'm not sure if you know me from my posting name here, but very late one night about three years ago I had you do a fit for me at that lodge in Norikura (and I don't think it makes a difference, but that's the bike I crashed on). Keep an eye on your PMs, I hadn't thought to contact you about my accident (recovery), but as in the comics, when you popped in here with this comment, the light bulbs went off (thanks).

Got some rollers to train a bit everyday, because it takes 30 minutes to get anywhere decent where I am. Set them up outside on the veranda, but in this heat I was sweating torrents and overheating like a pig in China. The answer to all my problems has arrived though. An industrial fan with three settings:
1. 40 km/hr TT
2. Fresh Gale
3. Hurricanes Over Cuba
Just did a moderate hour-long session today (in this heat and humidity) and hardly sweat at all.
IMG_0445.jpg

DSC_2729.JPG

There he is claiming the sprinter's prize!

I put in one of the hardest efforts of my life in our pursuit of the KOM prize.

Close but no cigar!

So was happy to pinch 3rd overall.

13621393_1011334385647472_1938241791_o.jpg

That handsome lad in the middle was on fire!

We qualified ourselves for the world championships in Perth.

Just need to think about how to sell it to the missus!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Last edited:
Holly shite, you guys mean business. Must be getting genetically modified by Kashiwa plant or something! ;) Looking forward to reading your blog entry on that one!

View attachment 14123

There he is claiming the sprinter's prize!

I put in one of the hardest efforts of my life in our pursuit of the KOM prize.

Close but no cigar!

So was happy to pinch 3rd overall.

View attachment 14124

That handsome lad in the middle was on fire!

Just need to think about how to sell it to the missus!

Andy

Good stuff. The guy in the middle looks like @Lupo . Was it Stefano? Difficult to tell as I've only ever seen him with his helmet on ;)

Holly shite, you guys mean business. Must be getting genetically modified by Kashiwa plant or something! ;) Looking forward to reading your blog entry on that one!

The powerplant has been out of action for a few years.

This result was achieved on three massive pizzas, lots of beer and a few bottles of wine!

Will post a report later. Thanks for reading it!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom