What's new

My Dream Bike / Bike Frame

I would love to get one of those Yonex frame sets and take endless photos playing squash or badminton with it.
Just looked at their website. 450-500,000 plus tax for their framesets :eek: . Never knew they were so expensive

Just looked at their website. 450-500,000 plus tax for their framesets :eek: . Never knew they were so expensive

It seems expensive at first glance, but when you consider the price of any other lightweight carbon frame set + tennis racket + golf club set, it actually works out cheaper overall.

It seems expensive at first glance, but when you consider the price of any other lightweight carbon frame set + tennis racket + golf club set, it actually works out cheaper overall.
So they give you a whole sports package for that price? Very nice of them

This is a "problem" that I am wrestling with now.

The issue is, how long will your dream bike be your dream? Are you likely to covet something else in a couple of months? If so by the time your uber custom frame is done, you will want something else.

Or if you want the latest stuff, it will soon be superseded with the next latest greatest stuff.

Indeed its a first world problem....

I am steering towards a larger clearance all road bike at the moment. Good enough with the right tyres to do road events, tough enough with enough clearance for gravel events, and quirky/unique enough for me to feel that it is "my bike" rather than an off the shelf model. I had a 2008 steel Kona Unit that was most of those things for me years ago, perhaps without the road bike chops. I had it set up for single speed or 1x9 with 700c 32mm gatorskins for the road and some much larger offload tyres as well. I think something in that style but with a ti frame or good steel and a carbon for would do the trick :D

I want to fixie next. I have only owned 4 racing bikes. A Dawes Reynolds 531C that I started racing on when I was 10. A Peugeot that I got when I was about 14 or so using Columbus SL. My sister sold that and all my CDs (and kept the money) when I disappeared off to Japan. Ouch! Bought an entry level carbon bike in 2013 from GS Astuto and am still riding it. Bought a lovely Peugeot RSR 02 second hand for use in Ireland every time I go back. That's also carbon. I have never really lusted bikes themselves but rather riding them. One brand that stands out to me from when I was a kid (mostly for the way they looked and the signature) and seeing them hanging in the bike shop is a Colnago. Guess I should just sell 2 of my 3 cars and get one.

Last edited:
I want to fixie next. I have only owned 4 racing bikes. A Dawes Reynolds 531C that I started racing on when I was 10. A Peugeot that I got when I was about 14 or so using Columbus SL. My sister sold that and all my CDs (and kept the money) when I disappeared off to Japan. Ouch! Bought an entry level carbon bike in 2013 from GS Astuto and am still riding it. Bought a lovely Peugeot RSR 02 second hand for use in Ireland every time I go back. That's also carbon. I have never really lusted bikes themselves but rather riding them. One brand that stands out to me from when I was a kid (mostly for the way they looked and the signature) and seeing them hanging in the bike shop is a Colnago. Guess I should just sell 2 of my 3 cars and get one.

I actually have an ex-Keirin racer's track bike (complete) I'm looking to sell. Drop me a message on Line if it's of interest.

I actually have an ex-Keirin racer's track bike (complete) I'm looking to sell. Drop me a message on Line if it's of interest.

Thanks Dom. You should post it up. I'm looking into a few options. Is it dreamy? Although, let's not sidetrack this thread too much.

I'm pretty satisfied with the bikes I've got.

My three bikes:

_20180612_211840.JPG

At the back a Vitus Alios Pro aluminium bike. My first serious bike. I bought the frame on a trip home to the UK 15 years ago. And built it up in Japan. The long stem and deep drops were all the rage before bike fits became the norm. I had some great rides on this. Now it is my winter trainer.

At the front, a Lynskey R340 titanium bike. Again I bought the frame in the UK via a friend for a great deal under the "cycle to work" scheme. And again it came back in a suitcase. We transferred the parts from my carbon bike that had a crack in it. 2 years ago, after being hit by a car, I used some of the insurance money to upgrade all parts including a DA groupset. The frame was repaired under the Lynskey lifetime warranty. The only thing I want to change on this is a narrower handlebar. I'll do this at the timing of the changing the bar tape.

In the middle, a TREK Speed Concept TT bike. I won this bike in a TT last November. A little small, we had to modify it a little. Even a longer seat post is sticking out above the minimum insert line! I also replaced the saddle with a split nosed saddle which makes a big difference. I bought a 55 chainring too, so now I have a choice of 52,
53, 54 or 55 depending on the course. After being hit by a car in April (familiar pattern here) I used some of the insurance money to upgrade to electronic shifting, which I think is a game changer on a TT bike. There's nothing I want to change on this bike. But maybe I'll get some shallower wheels for the front as now it's a super deep 110mm which is not so good on windy days!

In addition to these 3, the boys have 2 great 20 inch and 24 inch racing machines:

_20180612_211938.JPG

"The past was mine but the future's theirs..."

Andy

https://www.facebook.com/biketrainingandracinginjapan/

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread, especially for me as a Field owner (that is my dream bike and I cherish it greatly).

I think your dream bike depends on its use first, style second. I most often ride on the roads and with certain goals - Field helped me integrate those goals into my geometry and tubing choices. As alluded to by some above, a more 'gravel grinder' / flexible / 'gnarmac' / adventure / monstercross (any more?) build may suit others, too (more clearance, 650b compatibility, etc.).

Beyond that, you're then buying for aesthetics, which is hugely personal. With Field, I designed this side with the in-house designer there (Tom Smith), but with other brands you have a little less free range (certainly if you don't want to double the price of the frame in paint costs, at least).

For me, if I was getting another bike, it'd be something with big clearance and the like and/or a super lightweight road frame (perhaps custom carbon). However, my Field and Ritchey Swiss Cross more than suit my needs, now.

My friend is the Stoemper distributor here and I've been greatly impressed with the bikes I've seen go through his store. They seem a very reasonable version of custom / semi-custom and, I'm told, are a dream to ride.

I was meaning to get to this somehow missed it

First, so those fancy Field paint jobs on instagram are *extea charge*? Like how much extra? Sorry, too lazy to go look for myself about prices (don't know prices except the really main ones / easily visible ones!) unless I'm really about to buy.. so only out of curiosity, that question.

About custom... is it really that important? (Related to @saibot 's throwaway comment earlier). Like if your tastes are going to change, (ride / handling characteristics *customized* into the frame) or your riding strength/ability, which affects position, or body's going to change eg. weight (fit customized into the frame) seems to be kind of stupid.

You can change more about the fit, even ride? by stem / seatpost / seatpost height than most customizations built into a frame? Between different bikes I've ridden (varying materials and geometries, like really different!) I could barley tell the diff after a few hours on the machine, sometimes just a few minutes. Even between vastly different groupsets!

Well, it's all about a personal relationship between rider and bike and even if it's only a psychological one who am I to judge. Well guess you can tell I'm not sold on the idea of *custom but I can appreciate the exotic part of it.

But anyways on to the last thing - the STOEMPER guy's a friend of yours you say? LMAO

I was meaning to get to this somehow missed it

First, so those fancy Field paint jobs on instagram are *extea charge*? Like how much extra? Sorry, too lazy to go look for myself about prices (don't know prices except the really main ones / easily visible ones!) unless I'm really about to buy.. so only out of curiosity, that question.

About custom... is it really that important? (Related to @saibot 's throwaway comment earlier). Like if your tastes are going to change, (ride / handling characteristics *customized* into the frame) or your riding strength/ability, which affects position, or body's going to change eg. weight (fit customized into the frame) seems to be kind of stupid.

You can change more about the fit, even ride? by stem / seatpost / seatpost height than most customizations built into a frame? Between different bikes I've ridden (varying materials and geometries, like really different!) I could barley tell the diff after a few hours on the machine, sometimes just a few minutes. Even between vastly different groupsets!

Well, it's all about a personal relationship between rider and bike and even if it's only a psychological one who am I to judge. Well guess you can tell I'm not sold on the idea of *custom but I can appreciate the exotic part of it.

But anyways on to the last thing - the STOEMPER guy's a friend of yours you say? LMAO

There's a lot to address in here. Here goes:

1. The paint job isn't any 'extra' from what I'm aware (my point was that other builders charge a lot extra for that type of paint). The price of the frame and fork is broadly similar, unless you were to go for mentally complex paint. Also, they don't quote their prices online as it does depend a little on exactly what you want (some metal is more expensive than others, forks differ in price, etc.).

2. How important custom is depends so much on the person. If you don't dig it, don't buy it is what I'd always say. Some of your comments/views are pretty throwaway, but you're welcome to them.

3. My mate is the distributor in Japan (Tokyo at least) for Stoemper, that's all (not Stoemper themselves, who are US based). It just means I've seen a lot of their bikes - lovely looking machines and Stoemper themselves are a great company.

This is a "problem" that I am wrestling with now.

The issue is, how long will your dream bike be your dream? Are you likely to covet something else in a couple of months? If so by the time your uber custom frame is done, you will want something else.

Or if you want the latest stuff, it will soon be superseded with the next latest greatest stuff.

Indeed its a first world problem....

I am steering towards a larger clearance all road bike at the moment. Good enough with the right tyres to do road events, tough enough with enough clearance for gravel events, and quirky/unique enough for me to feel that it is "my bike" rather than an off the shelf model. I had a 2008 steel Kona Unit that was most of those things for me years ago, perhaps without the road bike chops. I had it set up for single speed or 1x9 with 700c 32mm gatorskins for the road and some much larger offload tyres as well. I think something in that style but with a ti frame or good steel and a carbon for would do the trick :D

I kind of agree with @130R

There's no dream bike for me. There are just too many stunning bikes, that I wouldn't even be able to say which I like best.
I just enjoy looking at awesome bikes of others and then happily jump on my 2011 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX F10 which I bought second hand for about 100.000 Yen two years ago.
I really really like my bike. Not because it's the bike it is, but because it allows me to do the rides I want to do (and I can do here where I live). And if my bike had been a different bike of about the same level, I'd probably like it the same way.
Basically what I'm enjoying most are lucky finds that fit my budget and riding. I then usually ride the bikes as long as they last (mostly without any major upgrading) or until they don't fit my riding anymore.
And since I've already reached a certain age and don't expect to become a much stronger rider than I'm now (which doesn't mean that I'm strong at all - more like a total average weekend worrier - hahaha), there'll be no reason for me to upgrade for the time being. The only upgrade (or actually more of a swop) I did, was getting a different saddle, since I'm riding longer distances more often now.

Anyway, I really hope you all keep getting dream bikes and show them off here and on the roads, though. It's always great fun seen nice bikes.

The bike I'm seeing myself riding someday in the future will be mostly likely a steel or ti "do-it-all" bike, ready for proper fenders and rack. This is for the time when speedy rides on mostly well paved roads step back behind more adventurous and relaxed leisure rides.

I kind of agree with @130R

There's no dream bike for me. There are just too many stunning bikes, that I wouldn't even be able to say which I like best.
I just enjoy looking at awesome bikes of others and then happily jump on my 2011 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX F10 which I bought second hand for about 100.000 Yen two years ago.
I really really like my bike. Not because it's the bike it is, but because it allows me to do the rides I want to do (and I can do here where I live). And if my bike had been a different bike of about the same level, I'd probably like it the same way.
Basically what I'm enjoying most are lucky finds that fit my budget and riding. I then usually ride the bikes as long as they last (mostly without any major upgrading) or until they don't fit my riding anymore.
And since I've already reached a certain age and don't expect to become a much stronger rider than I'm now (which doesn't mean that I'm strong at all - more like a total average weekend worrier - hahaha), there'll be no reason for me to upgrade for the time being. The only upgrade (or actually more of a swop) I did, was getting a different saddle, since I'm riding longer distances more often now.

Anyway, I really hope you all keep getting dream bikes and show them off here and on the roads, though. It's always great fun seen nice bikes.

The bike I'm seeing myself riding someday in the future will be mostly likely a steel or ti "do-it-all" bike, ready for proper fenders and rack. This is for the time when speedy rides on mostly well paved roads step back behind more adventurous and relaxed leisure rides.

"Weekend worrier" nice lol pun intended or auto correct??

Anyways a lot of this reflects my feeling as well, I'm also more content appreciating all the nice bikes out there I don't feel like I necessarily need to own myself - but to each his own Igor??

There's a lot to address in here. Here goes:

1. The paint job isn't any 'extra' from what I'm aware (my point was that other builders charge a lot extra for that type of paint). The price of the frame and fork is broadly similar, unless you were to go for mentally complex paint. Also, they don't quote their prices online as it does depend a little on exactly what you want (some metal is more expensive than others, forks differ in price, etc.).

2. How important custom is depends so much on the person. If you don't dig it, don't buy it is what I'd always say. Some of your comments/views are pretty throwaway, but you're welcome to them.

3. My mate is the distributor in Japan (Tokyo at least) for Stoemper, that's all (not Stoemper themselves, who are US based). It just means I've seen a lot of their bikes - lovely looking machines and Stoemper themselves are a great company.

Thanks for the info. Sorry but what do you mean by "some of my comments/views are pretty throwaway"? Like as in garbage, or careless, or left intentionally with iat least some careful consideration but not as the main point (the way I use the phrase btw)

Mild alarm bells are ringing here.

You're on a tear on TCC lately, which has been interesting and has stirred things up in a good way, but one of the reasons this forum is relatively quiet is because we've had trouble before with "strong personalities" coming in and scaring others off with off-putting comments. For example, you've likened this place to a "sausage fest" then in the same breath wonder where the women are. Maybe it's time to rein it in a bit.

Here, for example, you're basically calling someone who has put a lot of time and money in choosing a bike "stupid." Surely there are more diplomatic (or less drunk, perhaps?) ways of expressing yourself.

And finally, you seem to be implying that @Dom is lying about his Stoemper connection. Actually, I can't tell what you are trying to say there. But that's kind of the point -- maybe a little more care in crafting your comments would improve the conversations you crave.

Mild alarm bells are ringing here.

You're on a tear on TCC lately, which has been interesting and has stirred things up in a good way, but one of the reasons this forum is relatively quiet is because we've had trouble before with "strong personalities" coming in and scaring others off with off-putting comments. For example, you've likened this place to a "sausage fest" then in the same breath wonder where the women are. Maybe it's time to rein it in a bit.

Here, for example, you're basically calling someone who has put a lot of time and money in choosing a bike "stupid." Surely there are more diplomatic (or less drunk, perhaps?) ways of expressing yourself.

And finally, you seem to be implying that @Dom is lying about his Stoemper connection. Actually, I can't tell what you are trying to say there. But that's kind of the point -- maybe a little more care in crafting your comments would improve the conversations you crave.

Thanks for this, it's always good to hear honest thought, and I believe this is that.

You're not wront - sorry I don't know the history of this forum, but on the other side of "strong personalities" is "way too sensitive' - and who's to say who is too far on either end. I think in order for us to enjoy ouselves here we all need to accept eadh other's persnalities and accept that we all can't be exactly alike. Maybe the inability to do that inthe past is what killed the forum, if that is what happened.

Regarding dom's STOEMPER conncetion, that was meant as a "Hey, hook me up bro!" type of way. Sorry if that did not come through. I"m not the best typer or communicator in written form as you may have already noticed.

Thanks for the info. Sorry but what do you mean by "some of my comments/views are pretty throwaway"? Like as in garbage, or careless, or left intentionally with iat least some careful consideration but not as the main point (the way I use the phrase btw)

I purely mean that a number of your comments come from a place of not having a custom bike (your views aren't 'garbage' - as I said, each to their own). That's not to say you're not knowledgeable about bikes more generally (I have no clue if you are or not), but more that you don't own one, so you don't know. You can only surmise and have your views.

As an aside, having a custom bike is maybe for those who do want something that they'll stick with and cherish for a considerable period. My bike, for example, followed a pretty terrible crash and the process of designing the bike, the bike itself, the things that make it 'mine', all helped to get me back on the bike when I had deep-seated doubts about riding again. One thing coming across from a few here is that they're aware their tastes, needs, etc. change a lot and so they're content to look at others' bikes as opposed to buying their own. That's also totally fine.

As to the Stoemper point, Nocchi is a good guy (distributor) and if you ever went down the 'not 100% custom, but handmade' I'd be happy to introduce you.

I should say that your tone on here, on occasion, does come across poorly. That is not isolated to this thread - you have a lot of strong views, which you're entitled to, but maybe having a bit of consideration for others, thinking before your fingers tap the keys, and considering how accurate your comments are is the way forward (for all of us).

Last edited:
I ordered my custom bike 10 years ago this month. I ride it almost everyday and it should be the last bike i ride. This is it's latest configuration. I went to flat bars and I'l probably throw the fenders back on next weekend for the rainy season. Only thing I will change in the future is to wi-fi shifting. One day.IMG_1743.JPG

Last edited:
This, but now without the HED trispoke up front (matching front to the rear in the photo).

Thanks for the pic @xDOMx. Wish you the best of luck selling it. Looks the biz on the track. I probably won't make the track very much though (maybe on occasion) so I'll need something a little calmer. Am pondering things like belts over chains etc also.

Back
Top Bottom