What's new

New bike

So you are happy with it then? What was going on with your sound? I couldn't hear much. I like the wheels on the bike. Nicely matching. How come you went with a 52/36? You strike me more as someone who enjoys climbing hills so thought you'd get a compact (and save more weight ;) ).

I think the 52/36 comes as standard since it is supposed to be a racier bike. At least when I demoed the Supersix Disc, all of the Supersixes they had on display had a semicompact chainset on them. If you put an 11-30 or 11-32 cassette on the back, you should be fine.

@luka
Out of curiosity, how come you didn't go for disc brakes?

Yes, 52/36 is the standard. The hi mod only comes in disk brakes version normally, and only some very limited number was semi publicly available in the rim version. So I was very happy to discover it. Yep, next time put in a 30 tooth cassette and it's already lighter gear than 34-28.

I'm apprehensive about hydraulic disks because of maintenance mostly, and road side malfunction in particular. They are great 99% of the time but can get you seriously stranded. The same thing is putting me off of di2s. Could be just my paranoia, but that's how I feel for now.

Sorry about the sound, it's just the mobile phone recording. I'm loving the bike so far, really inspiring to ride.

Yes, 52/36 is the standard. The hi mod only comes in disk brakes version normally, and only some very limited number was semi publicly available in the rim version. So I was very happy to discover it. Yep, next time put in a 30 tooth cassette and it's already lighter gear than 34-28.
A semi compact and an 11-30 cassette is a great compromise, I think. Once my compact chain rings have worn out, I will also replace them with semi compact chain rings.
I'm apprehensive about hydraulic disks because of maintenance mostly, and road side malfunction in particular. They are great 99% of the time but can get you seriously stranded. The same thing is putting me off of di2s. Could be just my paranoia, but that's how I feel for now.
As someone who has ridden thousands of kilometers on mountain bikes with hydraulic disc brakes for >13 years, I have never once been stranded because of them — and that is despite crashing my bike (something which happens much more often, hopefully, than with a road bike). The maintenance is very modest, changing the oil or dot fluid (and bleeding) is no more of an arduous task than changing cables for disc brakes. I think your fears of disc brakes are unfounded.

In any case, don't take this the wrong way, I don't want to re-ignite the roadie disk brake wars. As a recent road cyclist coming from the MTB-side the fact that this is an ongoing debate in the road cyclist community is quite weird because "we" have had this discussion about 15 years ago and led to a mass extinction event of rim brakes. The SuperSix (no matter the brakes) is an awesome bike. When I tried the non-HiMod disc brake variant, I immediately felt at home, it fit like a glove to my anatomy and was surprisingly comfortable for such a race oriented machine. You, sir, are a lucky man.

You, sir, are a lucky man.
Thanks, I share that immediate connection feeling you've got. Probably the non Hi-Mod would more than suffice for my needs and ability, but having found this for something of a bargain there was no turning back. haha

Absolutely beautiful bike! Hope you have many years of safe riding on it.
Thanks man, likewise to you and all other members here. Maybe you can do a similar vid on your machine, I'm sure a lot of would love to see her ;)

I like the wheels on the bike. Nicely matching.
Yeah, I'm loving those wheels too. Funny enough, bought them about 2 months before the bike, when I didn't even consider new bike so seriously. But I guess they'd match any decent bike.

What was going on with your sound?
Again, sorry about it. I guess the phone was not good for this, from that distance and with mic turned away from me. I've found if you put both PC and youtube volume on the max and use earphones it's OK hahaha

Again, sorry about it. I guess the phone was not good for this, from that distance and with mic turned away from me. I've found if you put both PC and youtube volume on the max and use earphones it's OK hahaha

It's just about audible on max volume but then when an advert came on it scared the living bejesus out of me.

Fair enough if the semi-compact crank came with the bike. I thought you'd selected it. Personally I would always go with a compact if given the choice. I had a semi compact on my first road bike but then switched to a compact and never thought to go back. Compact crank and 28 on the back also saves weight (now that you are a bit of a weight weenie).

What's going on with your stem btw? Looks like you got Sky Tree wedged underneath there ;)

It's just about audible on max volume but then when an advert came on it scared the living bejesus out of me.
Not running any ads, must be youtube messing with me.

What's going on with your stem btw? Looks like you got Sky Tree wedged underneath there ;)
What's this about? Which point in the video? I have the cycle comp on the stem, and it is held by 2 plastic straps... is that it?

I mean the number of spacers under the stem. Never seen that many on a race oriented bike. Guessing the shop did it like that though so you can fine tune and dial in you position

Hahaha ok now I get it. That's right, this is just the initial setup. Pedals and cleats should arrive tomorrow, and when I have that done I'll move on to fine tune the saddle position. Then eventually to the reach. But the geometry itself is pretty aggressive, and I'm already leaned over a bit more than was used to. Things are slowly gonna come into their own yet

One thing - still haven't done the bohan toroku registration and am of two minds if it's worth it or not. I can't find a single spot on that frame that I would be OK with having the stupid seal pasted on. If it's ever stolen, I don't think that would be the definitive clue to get it back, although it is the only official way of identifying and claiming the bike... What are others here doing with their high end bikes? I've had this registration on the commuter and the other mid range road bike Wilier. But here......?

That's a good question. I don't want any stupid stickers on my bikes either, and none of the mates I ride with seem to have the registration sticker anywhere on their bikes.

I am not sure about the legal situation in Japan, but the frame number is a unique identifier of your bike. Usually it is located underneath the BB. In Germany they often put the frame number on your sales receipt to link your purchase to a specific frame. In addition I took photos of the frame numbers of my bike.

Not even at the bottom of the down tube on the underside near the BB?
yeah, that's where I have it on the other bikes. but this frame is DI2 compatible, and has a lot of cable routing through there, or serial No, holes for drying out etc. it's one of the most beautiful places on a bike, comparable to the diamond on the lower back of fit human females ;)

Back
Top Bottom