What's new

New Oakleys

"Arbitrary" glasses - like "Normal World Fit" you mean? It's true engineer guys at Oakley probably stuck doing overtime like "GD'd Asians and their fucked up needing special geometry faces! lmao
If I didn't need corrective lenses, I could order a non-Asian fit frame online. I could have ordered e. g. POC glasses that were sold at a huge discount on wiggle that match my helmet, for example. But if you need corrective lenses, then an optician has to order and install the lenses for you. Plus, each optician usually has one company that they buy lenses from, and this can be a huge differentiator. The lenses I wear now have meh lenses (I think Hoya lenses), they suffer from glare and attract dirt more easily than the Zeiss lenses I had before. When you want e. g. photochromic lenses it makes an even bigger difference as the time it takes to adapt to the lighting situation and the minimal and maximal light absorption differs from maker to maker.

So when you buy, say, Adidas sports glasses (which are also good for cycling) without corrective lenses, you get the lenses that Adidas is supplied with. Once you want corrective lenses (but not the clip-on option), you'd get lenses from the manufacturer that your optician has a contract with, say, Hoya. And the performance of Adidas's photochromic lenses may differ starkly from that of Hoya (I don't know, because they didn't have a sample). Needless to say, with corrective lenses, swapping them out to match your conditions is a non-starter, unless you are really wealthy. (In my case, a set of lenses runs me 40,000-50,000 ¥ per set.)

Some frames, e. g. some Oakleys and some Adidas frames, allow for clip on corrective lenses. They have the advantage that you can liberally change the front lenses to suit your needs (e. g. you can use contrast enhancing lenses or sunglasses or photochromic lenses). The downside is that the coverage of clip on corrective lenses is much smaller, and in ways that are important when cycling. You have significantly diminished peripheral vision which is essential in Japan to evade kamikaze cyclists on mamacharis who looking where they are going or taxi drivers who see you as an obstacle.

If I didn't need corrective lenses, I could order a non-Asian fit frame online. I could have ordered e. g. POC glasses that were sold at a huge discount on wiggle that match my helmet, for example. But if you need corrective lenses, then an optician has to order and install the lenses for you. Plus, each optician usually has one company that they buy lenses from, and this can be a huge differentiator. The lenses I wear now have meh lenses (I think Hoya lenses), they suffer from glare and attract dirt more easily than the Zeiss lenses I had before. When you want e. g. photochromic lenses it makes an even bigger difference as the time it takes to adapt to the lighting situation and the minimal and maximal light absorption differs from maker to maker.

So when you buy, say, Adidas sports glasses (which are also good for cycling) without corrective lenses, you get the lenses that Adidas is supplied with. Once you want corrective lenses (but not the clip-on option), you'd get lenses from the manufacturer that your optician has a contract with, say, Hoya. And the performance of Adidas's photochromic lenses may differ starkly from that of Hoya (I don't know, because they didn't have a sample). Needless to say, with corrective lenses, swapping them out to match your conditions is a non-starter, unless you are really wealthy. (In my case, a set of lenses runs me 40,000-50,000 ¥ per set.)

Some frames, e. g. some Oakleys and some Adidas frames, allow for clip on corrective lenses. They have the advantage that you can liberally change the front lenses to suit your needs (e. g. you can use contrast enhancing lenses or sunglasses or photochromic lenses). The downside is that the coverage of clip on corrective lenses is much smaller, and in ways that are important when cycling. You have significantly diminished peripheral vision which is essential in Japan to evade kamikaze cyclists on mamacharis who looking where they are going or taxi drivers who see you as an obstacle.

Sounds heavy, heavy double lenses.

I have a pair of Oakley and two pairs of Chinese knockoffs.... The Oakley are better but not 10,000 better!
Actually the 1200 yen Chinese cheapies are optically pretty good, they are polarised and Oakley lenses fit perfectly if I want to use them.

I have a pair of Oakley and two pairs of Chinese knockoffs.... The Oakley are better but not 10,000 better!
Actually the 1200 yen Chinese cheapies are optically pretty good, they are polarised and Oakley lenses fit perfectly if I want to use them.

You might want to watch this. I have a pair of cheapo Chinese replacement lenses for my Oakleys. I do sometimes get headaches when I wear them. Wondering if this is one of the reasons why.

You can't be sure he wasn't paid to say that, though:(

As much as it might be legit he is under no obligation to say if he was given money to produce this video. The guy is known and has an audience Oakley would love to speak directly-indirectly to, after all, who trusts a brand telling you they're great?

Oakley compares their lenses to the worst possible out there and expects you to equate everything that isn't Oakley with that worst possible scenario. There may be close competitors out there and other third party lens manufacturers who do a good job but with what they say they smear the whole market bar their product.

If it's not us it's utter shite!

The Lama has always struck me as a bit dubious. He gave me a "Ride On" on Zwift the other day, that just smacks of desperation, who the fuck am I?

As much as it might be legit he is under no obligation to say if he was given money to produce this video. The guy is known and has an audience Oakley would love to speak directly-indirectly to, after all, who trusts a brand telling you they're great?

Oakley compares their lenses to the worst possible out there and expects you to equate everything that isn't Oakley with that worst possible scenario. There may be close competitors out there and other third party lens manufacturers who do a good job but with what they say they smear the whole market bar their product.

The Lama has always struck me as a bit dubious. He gave me a "Ride On" on Zwift the other day, that just smacks of desperation, who the fuck am I?
It's not what he said that surprised me. It's the demonstration that he did with Oakley lenses and then Chinese replacement lenses. Are you saying he might have tampered with the lenses in some way? Perhaps he reengineered the Oakley lenses to make them appear much better than the Chinese lenses???

It's not what he said that surprised me. It's the demonstration that he did with Oakley lenses and then Chinese replacement lenses. Are you saying he might have tampered with the lenses in some way? Perhaps he reengineered the Oakley lenses to make them appear much better than the Chinese lenses???

Rather than the oakleys, which I think is isn't unreasonable to think they are pretty good in general, it's the Chinese lenses - thins is pure speculation of course but I'm assuming there's a huge difference between one set of "Chinese lensss" to the next - I've heard things can vary from utter shit to actually not too bad - so under what we could classify as Chinese lenses, there may be wildly different results some samples even coming close to the quality of real Oakley lenses. Welll...

Wow a ride on from the lama? It's like getting winked at by John Travolta as he gets in his limo! Me? Was it me he was looking at?? ;)

Isn't that it, though?

Chinese lenses? What does that mean?
Oakley means the ones produced by that company, "Chinese" means?

If you look hard enough I'm sure you can find a proper joke of a copy of anything.

Back
Top Bottom