What's new

Today Oktober-fest-ish-nesh

Rice fields are long gone unless your really high up.

Are you staying at Nozawa Onsen?
Yeah staying in Nozawa. Figure it's a nice base, small enough that there's no dull suburbs to cycle though, big enough to have things to do, places to eat, even in the off season, and can touch plenty of locations cycling, the nakatsu gorge you mentioned, shirane, and lots of winding roads around joetsu and tokamachi. Weather is looking good so hopefully it'll be fun.

Fed up with Tokyo weather, I headed out yesterday to Yudanaka (Nagano-ken) with bike in car. Arrived mid-afternoon to sunny skies and mild weather.
Got up at 5.30 a.m. and the rain had already set in. Waited until mid-afternoon, no sign of it easing up so gave up and came home.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 8
Anyone who likes my fargo... there is another one on ebay... I happen to know the owner, so I could get it shipped to me if someone really wanted it.

I haven't seen my hubby in a long time, and always had a feeling things were not going smooth and my hubby needed my time and care. So I've given plenty of love to my hubby on this rainy weekend, and I can tell you a lot of friction is gone, just like that!

IMG_20171028_112942_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171028_150636_HDR.jpg

62km this morning, same as a week ago but on the roads since the beach road was sanded over--last weekend's weather. Checked two places, both were a no-go. So back to the roads.

This is what Matsugo pass (松郷峠) looks like now, after the typhoon of last weekend. So route 273 from Tokigawa cycling base toward Ogawa-machi completely impassable...

22894073_947259508745868_1324952294744868273_n.jpg

yeah, 273 is one of main and better kept routes there. who knows what the rindos look like then!

today finally felt like proper autumn, without humidity and the dry headwind making my eyes sore. but there were other eyesores too:

IMG_20171027_093754_HDR.jpg

I headed out to Hakuba this past weekend for shenanigans.
This was the view from the top of Iwatake - just before you hit the DH trail.

23031414_10155723123502808_6012287253945000409_n.jpg

Had fun chasing my buddy's 11 year old daughter around the course.

22853272_10155726226952808_2918609538616235720_n.jpg

A good time was had by most... there were a couple of casualties, however everyone seemed to be in good spirits the next day.

Last day of the month and kind of the first Rapha Ride of the first Rapha store here in Berlin. Rapha called and I gruess about 100 people gathered despite temperatures below 10 degrees and strong west winds. We headed out for a 120km ride in the south-east of the city. Once we got out of the city two friends and I decided to take a leak. With a cruising speed of the peloton at about 35km/h we should have caught up easily. So we set off chasing the peloton averaging almost 40km/h in strong side winds only to notice after about 30min that we're lost. Somehow we managed to meet up with the group again at the coffee break using dropped riders as indication from some point. At about halftime they had set up a coffee booth with free drinks and food where most riders regrouped. For the ride home we hid safe and sound in the peloton. Cruising in a group at 35km/h or chasing a group averaging almost 40km/h in strong side winds is so different. Overall it was an interesting and fun event. Only at some parts of the route the streets weren't in the best condition and not all drivers were patient enough to deal with a large group of cyclists.
I wouldn't join such a ride every week, but every now and then it'd be a fun alternative to regular riding routines. I hope they'll keep these kinds of rides up in future.

Been sick as a dog or out of town most of this month, so did my last ride of October last night. Halloween costume ride for my group down here. Most guys dropped out at the last minute and 20min into it I hit a hard chunk of something in the road and got a flat on a brand new tube. No spare tube or patches on me so I had to walk to the nearest bike shop. Paid their exorbitant price for a crappy tube and shitty tire levers since I also didn't have anything to pry up the bead and they wouldn't loan me something.
After that slight delay, back to riding. Goal was to just have some beers and cruise around town getting attention. Only did 30km due to delays, late start and waiting for others. Fun though.

Last edited:
Out 14 times this month, less than sept's 21. Less distance, too, at 625km, but the per ride avg was higher.

Went out for a windy ride about 11 this morning and flatted about a half hour from home (rear). Lucky that I was close since the tire itself was a disaster and not repairable. I walked it a few hundred meters to an arts center, hid it behind there, and called a cab. Home, shower, put the rack on the car and picked it up. Gave it a good degrease and cleaning, and will do the tire tonight or tomorrow.

Tire is (was) a conti four season, and it definitely looks like it had gone the extra mile.

(Note to self: When riding a bike with fenders, get down occasionally and pay attention to tire wear on the rear.)

It's nice that the metal bike stands are covered with bubble-wrap, though.
Observant as ever. Yeah, they've got nice amenities. Sometimes do polls of user for like improvements etc. Cheap too, 24h manned service ;)

Back
Top Bottom