What's new

Ride Monday Meander

If the weather holds out I'm gonna have a crack at a slightly tweaked version of last week's ride this Sunday morn. Takao, then a couple of rindos. The surface is sealed, a few potholes on the rindos and even a natural spring to refill yer water bottles! Post below if you wanna join.

Meeting Time: 5:00am, Sunday August 21
Meeting Place: Family Mart near Takahatafudo Station, Keio Line
Distance: ~100km
Climb: ~2000m

Route:

Good ride today with @Kohei Matsuda , the weather held out and we had quiet roads all the way. There was moisture and leaf litter on the rindos so it got a little slippery in spots. There were also a couple of small mudslides on the rindos after the recent heavy rains, the roads are still passable but not exactly in great shape. All in all a good solid ride, looking forward to next week.

I have drawn up a slightly longer route for next time. Long hammer drafting section on Okutama TT, followed by the hefty climb up the top of Yanagizawa Toge Restaurant (1472m).
Plan is to arrive there when it opens 9:30 to resupply before heading back the same way with a 45km/h avg until Ome. Please bring two waterbottles and enough food to last to the first conbini. Goal is to be back in Fuchuu around noon.

Meeting Time: 5:00am, Sunday August 28
Meeting Place: Y's Road Fuchu
Distance: ~175km
Climb: ~1600m
Checkpoints: 6:00am Itsukaichi, 6:45 Futamatao Conbini, 8:00 Lake Okutama, 9:30 Toge Top, 11:30 Itsukaichi Conbini

Route:

Last edited:

As in OMG - just the ride I want to join?

I still have to true a wheel and move a tire over from another bike until Sunday, but drafting up along the Okutama and staging a breakfast club on the top of yanagisawa pass when it is still cool outside will certainly be OMG.

Good ride today, we had some rain but not enough to dampen our spirits (see what I did there:) . @Gunjira set up a great route, he and @Kohei Matsuda powered on to the end while I headed back early. Looking forward to next Sunday and the long awaited return of @TokyoLiving (plus of course anyone else who joins us).

Did this today... Was doing good till I hit the rindo above Hadano. Intended to go to Miyagase then back home via Zama (and my super secret, no traffic, return route). Didn't happen. Got off the rindo below Yabitsu and was all in, plus looked like rain was coming. Headed down to Hadano and took train back.

If you used a phone then not at all. Or if you have smoothing set to a very low number on the device then also you will get a much higher number than is a real reflection.
Even RWGPS which notoriously over estimates elevation has it only at 3800m, which means the ride that was posted should end up with about 2000 - 2400m. Assuming you stayed on the route and didn't do a bunch of other climbs.

• Device with barometric altimeter: If the GPS device used to record your activity has a barometric altimeter, Strava will use the elevation data in the original file. We do some smoothing to the data, which includes discarding outliers to reduce noise. The amount of smoothing is lesson activities with barometric data than it is for activities without barometric data. If your device has a barometric altimeter, but your elevation is being recalculated, please refer to this FAQ.
  • Device without a barometric altimeter and the Strava mobile app: If your activity was recorded with the mobile app or with a GPS device that does not have a barometric altimeter, Strava will recalculate the elevation by comparing the GPS data to an elevation database. We do some smoothing to the data, which includes discarding outliers to reduce noise. The amount of smoothing is more on activities without barometric data than it is for activities with barometric data. The accuracy of this calculation is dependent on your GPS data as well as the accuracy and resolution of the database for that region.
Basically, activities recorded on devices without a barometric altimeter show about 2x the actual elevation. Or, my cheap Garmin watch makes we twice the climber I should be.

Back
Top Bottom