What's new

TCC Team Kit Design Contest 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having the borders of the text in grey makes things a little less clear. The black border really helps the text to stand out from the busy design.

Either is fine, of course, and not up to me, but I think black is better...

Would be nice if these jerseys became a touristy collectors item...
Mt. Fuji or Tokyo Tower on the lower back or other well known symbols? just brainstorming a bit...

Another vote for Tokyo

I agree with Deej.

TCC is a useful shorthand for the club name but there are endless club jerseys out there with xCC on them. Particularly if the plan is to remove the web address then it's all the more important to reference "Tokyo". A quick search for "Tokyo Cycling Club" puts this website at the top of the list (yay! :D) but "TCC" yields all kinds of random stuff.

Appreciate this is a change to the product design specification but a change for the better I think.
AW.

A vote for Kanji!

My 2 yen:

Not that I can read kanji, but the jersey must have Japanese on it some where. Most jerseys here in Japan do not seem to have one word of Japanese printed on them, which to me lessens their appeal. Kanji please! :pray:

But I must say that I like the way the design is taking shape.

Cheers,

Keren

Having the borders of the text in grey makes things a little less clear. The black border really helps the text to stand out from the busy design.

Understood. Let's leave them in black then.

Owen, what do you think about Pete's suggestion below: a small Tokyo Tower with Fuji-san in the background on a back pocket? Would it be too much?

Mt. Fuji or Tokyo Tower on the lower back or other well known symbols? just brainstorming a bit...

Also, as Deej, Alan et al. have pointed out, could you try to replace "TCC" with the

TOKYO
CYCLING CLUB

caption on the back of the jersey?

Seems we have to officially appoint you TCC's head designer! :warau:

Great Ideas, but I would prefer a Jersey that does'nt look like a Hapi Coat :D The current design is boarder line in my humble opinion,just thought I would share.

One reason the Japanese don't like kanji on their jerseys is because it makes them look too 'yakuza' 'yankee'...

Great Ideas, but I would prefer a Jersey that does'nt look like a Hapi Coat :D The current design is boarder line in my humble opinion,just thought I would share.

OK, well as it stands for this entry, I am not going to do any major revisions to un-'hapi coat' it; that would mean completely changing it, and as this is was initially set out as a contest, feel free to put something together that would be more appealing to yourself. :)

Have to agree with Keren on this - some kanji or even katakana (we're mostly gaijins after all) would be pretty peachy - especially so for those who are only short term in Japan - makes it bit more exotic, which I'm all for, in all aspects of my life.

Also, how do you work these psd files to put a design together? I've tried on windows and mac but neither os seems to allow me to do anything.

OwenJames,

sorry if I offended that wasn't my intention I have some ideas regaridng the Jersey but currently focused on this weekends racing.

Once I get back (If I get back) I will try and put my ideas down... although my photoshop skills are very poor... btw what software are you using for this?

Have to agree with Keren on this - some kanji or even katakana (we're mostly gaijins after all) would be pretty peachy - especially so for those who are only short term in Japan - makes it bit more exotic, which I'm all for, in all aspects of my life.

Also, how do you work these psd files to put a design together? I've tried on windows and mac but neither os seems to allow me to do anything.

.PSD is a Photoshop file. You will need Photoshop to work with these. I use Photoshop CS4.

For a free option, you can use GIMP, but there is no guarantee that it will open perfectly. Might be worth a try if you don't want to buy or 'acquire' Photoshop.

OwenJames,

sorry if I offended that wasn't my intention I have some ideas regaridng the Jersey but currently focused on this weekends racing.

Once I get back (If I get back) I will try and put my ideas down... although my photoshop skills are very poor... btw what software are you using for this?

Not offended at all! You are entitled to your opinion! Can't please all the people, all the time...

I use Photoshop CS4. If you are not super hot on that, I will happily work with you to make your idea a reality. Even if you just sketch something on paper, take a photo and send it to me, I am sure we can make something cool.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Good luck with the race too!:)

Cheers Owenjames..... Your a star.

One reason the Japanese don't like kanji on their jerseys is because it makes them look too 'yakuza' 'yankee'...

Fine by me. If I look like a Yakuza, then I can take my lane without any argument. Probably look more like a 土方 but that's cool too...

Yeah, if I am honest, I started the current design with the idea of road presence.

We all know how bad the drivers are here, so any advantage through perceived image is going to be a bonus. My idea was that drivers would see a load of Gaijin with psuedo-Yakuza patterns and give a wide berth, while keeping the club image intact, and obeying the rules of the contest.

Anyway, I will continue with the current design, and put as many other designs as I can come up with into the pot.

Cheers.

Owen

Pucci, Tom etc can you think of any other toge's? Also would you mind filling in the missing altitudes below? I'm sure there are a heap more we could add.

Owen I know you're a busy man, but would you mind putting these onto one of your templates just so we can see how it looks? A suggestion might be to put them on the 2 outer pockets in kanji with altitude next to them, not in hiragana as just don't think that'd be cool. I wasn:t sure how you're kanji ability is so I put the hiranagana there just in case, Sorry if you're a kanji expert or something;)

I also like Pete and Thomas' suggestion of a fuji on the pocket....how about the middle pocket, or covering all three, with the toge's written in the sky area?

Sorry, too many sugggestions Owen.

松姫峠 まつひめとうげ
三国峠 1170m みくにとうげ
柳沢峠 やなぎさわとうげ
大峠 おおとうげ
和田峠 700m わだとうげ
ヤビツ峠 761m
足柄峠 736m あしがらとうげ
鶴峠 つるとうげ

I only did one pocket but you get the idea I'm sure. Different color might be good too?

Ok I thought I would get a feel for what you guys liked regarding lettering for "TOKYO Cylcing Club"

That way it will help me build a design around the most important part.

tccfont.jpg

Let me know which ones you like, For me I like the middle left.

FarEast said:
Ok I thought I would get a feel for what you guys liked regarding lettering for "TOKYO Cylcing Club".

James, Verdana or Tahoma please. At least non-serif. We're not a French restaurant. "Chez TCC" :D

Ok I thought I would design one with a vintage race feel to it.

Eddy Merckx and Fusto Coppi were the inspiration behind this.

tccjerseydesign.jpg

• The faux race number actually says in small print "Since 05"
  • The Metropolitian Logo gives a european flavour to the jersey even though it is clearly the Tokyo logo.
  • Tricolour band wraps around the pocket trim.
  • Space left for sponsor placement.

I appologise for my MS Paint skills.

Open to critique!

EDIT; You did have something in mind!

Like it a lot!

Re: Typefaces

In terms of visibility, neutrality, and clarity, Helvetica is the clear winner.

Verdana and Tahoma are so incredibly similar to eachother, you may as well go with Helvetica, and give yourself the options of adding to the letter 'I', and having a better formed 'K'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom