What's new

Tdf 2008

Haven't look at the course yet--is it looking like a climber or TT-ist route?

No idea who will win it, really, but just going by gut feeling I don't think it'is going to be any of the familiar names. Certainly not someone like Valverde or Sastre. Cadel peaked last year, and he won't be able to duplicate. Someone young, someone keen...

Thanks for starting this thread again this year! We had a lot of fun with it last year and I am sure this year will be no different!

Cadel? needs to stop his wheel sucking ways, cant really respect that but would not be surprised to see him on the pedestal. But in my opinion it is totally wide open this year and yes, someone young and hungry could indeed take it. Cancellara?...

lets see! (and for all our sakes, Please, please, let it be clean for once....)

Ash

By the way, I had a rant about the TDF on April 6th on my blog ("Not you again!") so if anyone wants to comment on that there they are welcome. I shall confine my rants on this subject though to this thread in future:D

yep, I agree. This cat was VERY promising and I was very disappointed last year when he had to pull out.

Lets hope he gets better and can perform at his best (minus any other 'medical" assistance...)

Ash

Evans looked good over the weekend taking 2nd in the Dauphine.
Rogers lurking back in the shadows. (who I believe will be the one to put money on for a podium at very long odds).

Valverde?

Shleck?

Cunego?

Lance likes Evans. Ullrich likes Evans. The bookies like Evans. I do hope Evans wins too.

Bring it on....

Perhaps it's the year of the Schlecks, specifically Andy. If he can get some time ahead of Sastre early on so he becomes the teams's designated GC rider, I think they'll be in with a chance.

Rogers did look good last year before crashing out. I'll be cheering Cadel on, too, although I don't think he'll duplicate his heroics from last year.

(You guys watching the Swiss tour? On J-Sports as per...)

Mmm, Cadel?

I hope it's Cadel, but as Phil Liggett rightly described him last year, he's a limpet. He needs to win at least one climbing stage to get my respect. No Rasmussen, Contador and no time bonuses this year, all of which will assist him though.
Other contendors?? Rogers maybe, but not yet I think. It'd be interesting if some other young guns come through. Last year was a amazing when you had Contador, Rasmussen and Evans all drawing swords in the mountains. Simply awesome stuff.

Not sure if he is in or not, but I like Ricardo Ricco for some stages and possibly a podium? He is definitely a young gun to watch especially after his impressive Giro.

As for Cadel, I want him to become a much more dominant rider before I will back him for a win. That kid needs to give up his wheel sucking ways and take a few risks.

Ash

I'm looking forward to this year's tour. I haven't followed the tour as closely for the past couple years, but I'm hoping to get back in to it. I'm glad there are still a lot of names out there that I recognize.

Are there any places I can catch TV coverage of this in Tokyo, specifically any where near Ikebukuro?

Tour de France...

...in Ikebukuro!

I'm looking forward to this year's tour. I haven't followed the tour as closely for the past couple years, but I'm hoping to get back in to it. I'm glad there are still a lot of names out there that I recognize.

Are there any places I can catch TV coverage of this in Tokyo, specifically any where near Ikebukuro?

At the "Hub"!
Last year, I watched about 3 stages here:
http://www.pub-hub.com/shop/annex/index.html

I had to ride my bike in there, as I'd miss the last train home - always rode as fast as Lance on the return journey:cool:
There are many "Hub" pubs across Tokyo, but only a few of them show the TDF. You will need to check carefully!
Travis... I might catch ye there! T

Other places...

Check:
http://www.pub-hub.com/b_schedule/
The "Hub" will also be showing the TDF at:
Shibuya,
Harajuku,
Kichijoji,
Kashiwa (Nishi),
Hibiya,
Tokyo-Dome-City,
Akihabara.

Whichever is closest to you! T

Michael Rogers is not doing the TDF this year. Deemed too weak from his illness to last the 3 weeks.
:warau:

Party!

Why don't we have a TDF party at one of the HUBS? Lets find one with it on and hit it! I know there is a HUB near my office in Takadanobaba, but anywhere is fine!

Who else is in this? We can surely make same 'party' arrangement with the relevant pub to leave the TV on the right channel I think.

Who's in? What stage shall we watch? I suggest a friday or saturday night, maybe at the end of the second week when they hit the hills?

Ash

TDR gathering

I'm in. (This may need its own thread sooner or later, me thinks).

As long as you're not up against a must-watch soccer game, I've found that the Hub is fairly cool about changing channels.

I agree a Fri/Sat mountain stage would make good viewing. We could even do a sweepstakes; some sort of beverage as the bet of course) :D

Cheers,

Genghis

Back
Top Bottom