What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

Thanks, I would never thought of that on my own. Will check for scratches etc. I only hope these bearings/cages will be sold generally, as I've only seen the cartridge types so far...

OK, neither Y's road in Ikebukuro nor 3 LBSes around me had these. Not only that, neither store sells bearings separately at all, and they had no idea where they might be found. One LBS has contacted the maker (Louis Garneau) with the bike type to see if they have the same headset, as they are of the opinion my best option is just to change the whole thing. If LG in Japan has it, it will cost me their retail price, plus shipping and 2-3,000 yen for the LBS to fit the new headset. I am waiting for them to get back to me with the answer from LG.

As I've looked online and was unable to find anything similar to my bearings (30 balls, most have just 20 or 22), I am inclined to just replace the whole headset. What does the forum think? :innocent: Also, if I do proceed to do that, will any headset of the same circumference do the trick, so I can shop around on my own, or am I stuck with whatever LG decides to charge me, if they have it at all that is.

Thanks for the help really, and I did bring this on myself as it was my first time to take the whole headset apart, after seeing one "how to" video.

I've seen they have different types at FSA, and the installation manual for the type shown on the LG site has both cartridge and ball-cage setup. I don't know what's up with that.

Here's a pic of the thing as it is now:

1.jpg

For all the helpful input and advice let me just update you on this issue (belatedly cause there's zero time during the week for anything out of the routine). I searched for FSA but could not immediately find them in Japan, or an authorized dealer/importer. The very next morning the shop got in touch, saying the headset will be 2,600 yen so I decided to just change the whole thing. I needed or wanted to do a couple of more adjustments, changes, maintenance jobs, so I just outsourced them all to the LBS today, and should have the bike by tomorrow. As I have very little free time (not to mention mechanic skills) I found this to be the least bad option overall, and it should have me on the refurbished bike commuting again from Tuesday morning.

The only rules of this thread are "No criticizing" (Please see the original post) so I will refrain from commenting on this post. The facts are that Owen has helped a large number of people on this thread answering technical questions. I'm looking through but I can't see any contributions from you in helping others solve the large numbers of questions that have been posted here?

If you wish to continue with your fight then please take it to PMs. Thomas, TCC and everyone else are easily reachable via this method.

Let's keep this thread going in the right direction.

So my criticism of the rude and derogatory phrasing used by the so-called "TCC" on this thread towards another user was deleted as if nothing happened. What kind of cowardice is this really?

Shame on whoever is posting as "TCC".

By the way, I took a screenshot of this.

Okay, let's try this for a helpful change... ;)

Dear Abby,

I'm thinking of trying some Rapha wear. As it's winter, I've just started a beard (a little late actually, given past years), and would like to get that 8-10 day gone look that's in their advertising. (You know, a little more/darker than Arafat would have opted for, tho it might be hard to imagine him on a bike.)

While my beard is on the heavy side, there is one problem. Or I'm kind of wondering if it's really a problem, so that's why I'm asking here. Looking for helpfulness, I guess.

Don't worry, it's not the facial pose. Snap your fingers and I can easily mimic that intent, riderly look. It's so easy and I do it so much that my wife often asks me if I'm really happy or not, or if I've had a bad day, and so on.

No, it's my beard color (or lack of color).

How do I say this..., my beard is not black anymore. Or maybe I should say that it's mostly not black anymore. I'm not at the Donald Sutherland level yet (who, incidentally, I think carries it off really well, tho he probably hasn't been shopping for Rapha gear), but my beard is pretty grey, or white as they'd say here in Japan.

So, dearest Abby, my question: Without a dark, Rapha-colored beard (like in their adverts) is it still okay to wear Rapha? At this early stage (of the beard), and as a newbie to the Rapha thing, I'm like totally lost. What should I do?

Should I shave and pretend that this situation just doesn't exist? (Apart from the beard, the hair is another giveaway, but any helmet hides a lot of that.) Maybe opt for one of those color-your-hair things that are on TV? Ask Rapha to include a new line of stuff in grey?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Does anyone know a good place (in Tokyo) to get cycling glasses with prescription lenses, where they do whole thing including the eye test?

But it depends how bad your eyes are.

For example Oakley cannot make lenses to correct my vision.

A local Oakley and Rudy Project dealer did my eye test and made up an insert for a pair of Rudy Project cycling glasses which are great. There are at least two other people on here who use the same set up and that's how I found out about it. We are all very happy with the product we use and the service we received.

This is what I have.

Shop list

Does anyone know a good place (in Tokyo) to get cycling glasses with prescription lenses, where they do whole thing including the eye test?
I struggled for a while with this (custom photochromic lenses for Ray Bans etc. etc.) and finally dropped the coin to get my eyes zapped. Best 80,000 yen I ever spent. Not everyone is a suitable candidate, but if you haven't already I'd say it's definitely worth finding out about LASIK.

I got lazik too 8 years ago and it was the best investment I've ever made (though 2-3 times more expensive than @Half-Fast Mike if i remember correctly). Was blind as a bat before (-7 or there abouts) but have had top vision since. Of course individual risks exist and there's always the possibility of developing ro-gan as one grows older, but on the whole highly recommend.

I used to have around -11 eyesight (anyone who wears glasses, especially the short-sighted, will know just how bad that is).

Due to how bad my astigmatism was and how bad my eyesight was, laser surgery was impossible for me (they would've had to increase the power of the laser to an extent that would've thinned my cornea far too much to be considered safe - it is generally considered that Lazik-type surgery is safe to around -8.00).

I also had an accident involving being ****ted in the face by a football whilst playing 'not above head height' 5-a-side that meant my glasses almost sheered off into my eyeball (snapped and went upwards above my eyelid instead...); this event made me realise for the first time, I work a job I don't enjoy but that pays me well so, why not invest in my health.

With this in mind, I went ahead and had phakic intraocular lenses implanted with Optical Express (this, unfortunately, was much more expensive than Lazik, etc and is a lot more invasive as far as the surgery itself but, given how extreme my eye sight was, I thought it worth it).

In short, it was like a cataract operation but, as opposed to removing the old lenses, they place corrective lenses in there (they are 'anchored' into place ( INFORMATION )(kind of like internal contact lenses).

Anyway, it seemed relevant to the conversation and, as eluded to by others above, the surgery has totally changed my life for the better (was 100% worth it).

I used to have around -11 eyesight (anyone who wears glasses, especially the short-sighted, will know just how bad that is).

Due to how bad my astigmatism was and how bad my eyesight was, laser surgery was impossible for me (they would've had to increase the power of the laser to an extent that would've thinned my cornea far too much to be considered safe - it is generally considered that Lazik-type surgery is safe to around -8.00).

I also had an accident involving being ****ted in the face by a football whilst playing 'not above head height' 5-a-side that meant my glasses almost sheered off into my eyeball (snapped and went upwards above my eyelid instead...); this event made me realise for the first time, I work a job I don't enjoy but that pays me well so, why not invest in my health.

With this in mind, I went ahead and had phakic intraocular lenses implanted with Optical Express (this, unfortunately, was much more expensive than Lazik, etc and is a lot more invasive as far as the surgery itself but, given how extreme my eye sight was, I thought it worth it).

In short, it was like a cataract operation but, as opposed to removing the old lenses, they place corrective lenses in there (they are 'anchored' into place ( INFORMATION )(kind of like internal contact lenses).

Anyway, it seemed relevant to the conversation and, as eluded to by others above, the surgery has totally changed my life for the better (was 100% worth it).

Forking hell. I didn't know such Minority Report-like surgery existed. Interesting stuff!

I have heard about this and for me, too, it is the only thing that would be of any kind of assistance. I will have to find out more. Thanks for that link @xDOMx

Read a bit edit
Long sighted not short sighted so this isn't an option, bummer. Seems I am doomed forever.

Last edited:
Forking hell. I didn't know such Minority Report-like surgery existed. Interesting stuff!

I tried to get the nickname 'Bionic Eye Bill' to take off but it never did*

*That's not true.

I have heard about this and for me, too, it is the only thing that would be of any kind of assistance. I will have to find out more. Thanks for that link @xDOMx

Read a bit edit
Long sighted not short sighted so this isn't an option, bummer. Seems I am doomed forever.

A shame if it doesn't mate. It's tough not having great eyesight but I'm sure developments have been made to assist.

I'm led to believe it's a fast-moving area of healthcare.

I have really, really, really, perfect eyesight.
I always get 98-100% on the drivers test.
:crafty::innocent::crafty::innocent:

Thanks all - some good info. My eyesight is not that bad. I have problems in the cold weather with the wind making
my eyes water excessively and, unless I am pottering along on the hoods, I am tending to look out over the top of
my current glasses (which came from a superdrug type megane place). Since I am cycling mainly in the dark at this
time of year I was thinking of something with different lenses (sunny day, dull day, night time) that can be slotted into
the frame and changed easily.

Back
Top Bottom