What's new

Today Today - December 2016

15390751_10154957919637223_7478514371287563491_n.jpg

Yesterday was one of the last chances to ride outdoors in Niigata.

The mountain has snow on it and it's not long now till we enter winter properly.

Luckily we moved house recently and I've graduated from riding the rollers on the veranda to my own training room. Actually a garage!

15355557_10154963625592223_4154760517953868950_n.jpg

Thanks to @Tuomas I now have a bike permanently locked to a stationary trainer.

Jump into winter!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Today i either fractured my talus, or tore some ligaments in my foot. ER visit was inconclusive. only thing i will be riding for a while are crutches.

Non bicycle related injury

Today i either fractured my talus, or tore some ligaments in my foot.
Ouch! Had a torn ligament in 2008 or 9. Crutches for 3-4 weeks I think. Sucks big time. Hope you get on your feet (literally) soon!

I own some Rapha and like their ideas. But like so many smaller businesses with great ideas they eventually get swallowed up. I hope this doesn't happen.

I'm just not a fan of corporations taking over every aspect and will support the little guy in any way I can. Sometimes it's not possible, but do my best.

One reason why both my bikes are not off the shelf name brands.

Last edited:
Today i either fractured my talus, or tore some ligaments in my foot. ER visit was inconclusive. only thing i will be riding for a while are crutches.

Non bicycle related injury
Before I can offer my condolences I need to know the mechanism of injury. This time of year I am guessing a Bonnenkai related platform/elevator accident? Or a mishap when attempting to mount the fairy atop of the Christmas tree? We need to be told.

Before I can offer my condolences I need to know the mechanism of injury. This time of year I am guessing a Bonnenkai related platform/elevator accident? Or a mishap when attempting to mount the fairy atop of the Christmas tree? We need to be told.

I wish there were something exciting to report. Just a simple mis-step in front of my house and the ankle rolled outward with 2 distinct "pops" and complete loss of stability. Luckily I work from home, so work isn't affected.

My wife said ' stay off the rollers', so i broke out the trainer. you guys are my witnesses, no rollers.
20161213_185406.jpg
If a gaijin with a sprained ankle turns up floating in the sagami bay, help!

2016-12-13 19.12.59.jpg
Mtb pedals and skate shoes work wonders for an ankle that only turns a couple ways

Last edited:
I did my Christmas spirit ride today. Stopping to see if a fellow needed help with a flat. Then I came across two young guys crashed on ice on their way to baseball. So I stopped to see if they were alright and picked up their stuff and took their bikes across the ice while they hobbled around. I'm guessing they didn't put in their best performance in the diamond today.
Then on the way home I saw a scooter hit a car and fall off under his scooter so I got off and lifted his bike off him and checked he was ok.
All in all more good deeds than I've done for all the rest of 2016! Ha ha ha!

I did my Christmas spirit ride today. Stopping to see if a fellow needed help with a flat. Then I came across two young guys crashed on ice on their way to baseball. So I stopped to see if they were alright and picked up their stuff and took their bikes across the ice while they hobbled around. I'm guessing they didn't put in their best performance in the diamond today.
Then on the way home I saw a scooter hit a car and fall off under his scooter so I got off and lifted his bike off him and checked he was ok.
All in all more good deeds than I've done for all the rest of 2016! Ha ha ha!
This one day doesn't undo a year of dickiness....

Santa's got a big ole bag of coal for ya!

I learned yesterday that Wahoo have some people in Japan/Tokyo right now looking at how to get their products on sale locally.

Seems they may be available through the Apple shop, at least to start with.

@Heath about time for your write up of the Element, come on!

First for me today. Wind on my back on the way home. Usually the headwind on the way out miraculously changes direction as I start my return.

Back on the bike after a 15+ year long hiatus. Been riding and measuring progress daily for a year now. Surpassed the 9000 km mark. Doesn't look like I will make 5 figures, but damn, never thought I would do those kind of miles the first year. Next year's goal 12,000km+!!!

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all you TCC'ers! See you on the road!

This morning before my wife and daughter woke up, I drank my first cup of coffee and swapped out pedals on the Intense for some flats.
Snuck out the front door to test out the ankle... Ultimately after about 30 seconds of taking it easy, I rode up the 4 steps to the neighborhood park and then then the 12 down, up the ramp to my front door and down the 6 steps... feeling pretty good, I rode a few wheelies then did a slight oops that required my left foot to catch me....

I promptly put the bike away and won't touch one for another week at least.

Sat back down in my office with another cup of coffee.... and that is where the wife found me a bit later. :)

Merry Christmas and hope everyone gets a ride in!!!

My cycling December will be non-existent (no Festive 500) due to going back into hospital for surgery (removal of the titanium hardware in my wrist will lead to 1 to 2 months off the bike).

After a few weeks I may be able to get back on the indoor trainer if I don't put any weight on my wrist.

All-in-all, it'll be a rest, Xmas in the Lake District (England), and back to trying to get some form back in the new year.
Good luck with the recovery.

Back
Top Bottom