What's new

Today Today - January 2016

Ignorance is bliss for me when it comes to power and cycling. On Saturday @Chrisisism shouted out our power reading while riding into a stiff headwind. Meant nothing to me and I was very happy that it didn't.
I'm sure I'd be very serious about the data if I got a power meter but I'm glad I haven't got one ;) .

And rumor has it Froomey's bike computer is never turned on and Stages pay him by the second to pretend to watch his power output.

Ha ha ha! Stages sponsors Froome? That's got to bite! Spend your life training, sneaking drugs left and right, finally reach the pinicle of your sport only to be sponsored by the company spruiking entry level gear... Hilarious!!!

And rumor has it Froomey's bike computer is never turned on and Stages pay him by the second to pretend to watch his power output.

Had a wet and cold commute back from work, the last one this month. The number of people who think it's a good idea to ride with their umbrellas open! Here's a small sample:

2.jpg
1.jpg

I just received my entry form in the mail for this year's Sado Longride 210. The event takes place on 15th May this year and sign-up starts on Monday. the main event is a non-competitive 210 km loop around Sado Island in Niigata Prefecture. I took a half-fast group to the event last year and we had a lot of fun. That was my third time. I'm not planning to go this year.

Mandatory Bureaucracy

The regulations are becoming progressively more annoying. In recent years they introduced a rule that for entry into the 210 km event you have to declare that you have previously completed an organised event longer than 100 km. Quite how much effort they expend on verifying this is anybody's guess.

The new rule this year: before the event day you have to take your bike to a bike shop (it actually says your nearest bike shop) for inspection and maintenance, and get an inspection form stamped with the shop's official seal. They will release the form in late March so your inspection must be done within 6 or 7 weeks of the event day!

Nevertheless I recommend the event - well organised and amazing scenery. Finding somewhere cheap to stay close to the start/finish line can be a challenge.

20150517-092347-Sado-Mike.jpg

I too would definitely recommend Sado.

If you don't join the event you can do a loop of the island at anytime on relatively car free roads.

And if you are coming all the way from Tokyo, I would recommend spending a bit more time and exploring the interior. Sado Skyline is a fantastic climb and there are lots of other options.

If you don't mind the summer heat, combining a bike trip and the Earth Celebration in August would also be a great trip.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Preparing the bike for a ride tomorrow I noticed an unusual clicking sound when pedals are turned backwards (I was lubing the chain). I though I might as well tighten the chainring bolts, since I haven't checked them in a long time. Prescribed torque is 12 to 16 N-m, and I got the first 3 up to 12 no problem - actually, they were pretty much properly tightened as they were. The last one though was "loose", started turning at 4-5 N-m already and then around 6 it just snapped on me! Broke in two, one piece still embedded with no grip to get it off. I'll ride the CX bike tomorrow instead, but I wonder if even the LBS will be able to help me with this one... It's Shimano Ultegra FC-6800.

2.jpg

just put the star drive in and unscrew it.
When I tried that the first time, it seemed as if the bolt actually broke just at the place where the grip of the star finishes, and I couldn't get the star drive in at all. Then I remembered to try one size smaller (2.7 mm rather than 3 mm) and this did it! I got it out somehow, and I'm pretty sure I have spares somewhere, so as long as I can find them before tomorrow morning...

funny moment of the day... Following @Mlac Peek into the short riser before toda drawbridge. Talking myself up for the sprint to the top. Hit the bottom, out of the saddle, giving it some, draw level, peeks out of the saddle, I start to hear a twirp from the front brake area, the twirp becomes a grind as the brifter moves under my abuse and pulls the brakes onto the wheel... I can still get this.. The more I try the tighter the brakes pull...ha ha ha, I have to stop and adjust the brakes at the top. Hilarious. I'll get you next time Mac peek!

By the way today's a new (for me) bike day!!! Thank you @Chrisisism what an elegant lady she is!

Took a mate of mine who lives nearby for his virgin ride on Edogawa today. Apparently, he's been riding Arakawa only so far. We initially only aimed for 90-100 km ride because he needed to be home early, but once on the river he probably caved in to great weather, people-less paths and general tarmac-call and we went all the way to Sekiyado and back, for a total of about 115km, going 1.5h over his original intended return time. Great day on the bike, to complete the month for a total of 1000 km for me (actually I've only got 999.2 now, but I'll do a chore on the strava later just to get it over the mark) :D

Amazing isn't it.
Definitely. For me it involves around 15km to get out of the city (stop every 100m on a red light), another 5 or 10 up the river to lose the jogging, dog-walking, kite-flying (rhymes with shite) crowd, but then the bliss of unpopulated tarmac begins and it's worth it. We originally intended to turn back at Kasukabe so I didn't call you, but will drop you a line next time. It's probably only when you're ill/injured that we can ride at mutually feasible/acceptable speed. :tup

funny moment of the day... Following @Mlac Peek into the short riser before toda drawbridge. Talking myself up for the sprint to the top. Hit the bottom, out of the saddle, giving it some, draw level, peeks out of the saddle, I start to hear a twirp from the front brake area, the twirp becomes a grind as the brifter moves under my abuse and pulls the brakes onto the wheel... I can still get this.. The more I try the tighter the brakes pull...ha ha ha, I have to stop and adjust the brakes at the top. Hilarious. I'll get you next time Mac peek!

By the way today's a new (for me) bike day!!! Thank you @Chrisisism what an elegant lady she is!

Take good care of her now, I say with a tear in my eye, a sweet ride she is..

@theBlob and what a beautiful bike she is. Where are the pics? You got yourself a bargain there.

Note to everyone, if you are going to buy something second hand, buy it from a Swede. They seem to like buying really expensive things, use them only a handful of times then sell them for around half the price they paid for them. Gotta love the Swedes ;)

No pics as yet, Well, none that I took. But I believe there are a few luring pics up in the for sale section!

12654488_10154044099282223_4960528397412675667_n.jpg

After a big dump of snow last night I find myself on the balcony in my underpants (well cycling shorts) at 6 am.

2 degrees with snow in the air. I reduce the pressure in my tyres to add some resistance to the new rollers. Stick Underworld on full blast and go for it.

FTP test time.

After promising @theBlob to lock onto 360 to 370 W, I find myself over excited and locked onto 380 W.

It feels easy at first. It always does. But 20 minutes for an FTP test is one of the longest 20 minutes there is.

By 8 minutes I feel myself fading. I'm over LTHR already which plays on me (the first time to do the test looking at HR too, will hide it next time)

I could drag it out, watch the power trickle off and try to save it for 370.

But I think in these tests you need to try and do a solid and constant effort. Perhaps a little kick at the end if you have anything left.

I pulled the plug after 8 minutes.

After that I did another 8 minutes at 365. It's hard after the first effort but it feels more maintainable.

https://www.strava.com/activities/483127029/analysis

The good things about these tests is you learn a lot of things such as how to pace yourself, how you respond to different warm ups etc.

And of course even a pulled test is a hard effort, good training and a good learning experience.

I'll have another go later in the week.

Lock onto 365 and push for 370 at the end.

Looking forward to it already!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Back
Top Bottom