What's new

Today - July 2013

I think my LBS guy said something about 30,000JPY to check. I'll ask him when I see him again.

Hmm, better safe than sorry I guess though. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that, Tom, please get better soon! A couple of years ago, I had a close encounter with a guard rail too, these things are sharp as razor blades...

Yeah, my wife suggested I now ride around with a big foam collar on!

I destroyed one cadence/speed sensor by sprinting with non-cycling pants.

I read that last night, and thought um, perhaps I've had one beer too many. (Grand total: one beer.) This morning I may have had one coffee too few, but whatever the reason I'm still befuddled. Elaborate for the slow-witted, please!

Bike shops and insurance companies treat any crash damage to carbon frames, forks or other components as a write-off. I think they have good reasons for doing that.

There's one silver lining, Sheep -- your anecdote will end satisfyingly with "Of course the bike was a complete write-off."

The other is that "complete" refers to the frame: you can transfer many of the other bits to your handsome new red frame, no?

I read that last night, and thought um, perhaps I've had one beer too many. (Grand total: one beer.) This morning I may have had one coffee too few, but whatever the reason I'm still befuddled. Elaborate for the slow-witted, please!

Maybe his loose bell bottom jeans were snagging on the sensor unit. Stovepipes not flares is the sensible option.

But back to you Mike - nice new half fast cycling design! I can see that working on the new bike (BTW who did the bike photo / 3D imaging?) - and perhaps working on a new alternative more subtle 2014 HF kit?
Just noticed this.

The photo is from the catalogue, I imagine. I may have altered the background a bit.

If you want subtle kits, I suggest you go shopping at Rapha. HFC will continue to be bold and contrasty, with possible outbreaks of Comic Sans in low-lying areas.

Nice spin around the palace again this morning. Only one beep today. Trying bigger gears up the hill again with a mix of in and out of the saddle. Not so fast just trying to build some strength. Maybe I'll attack it in a lower gear again next week and see how I've improved. Looks like my weekend is reduced to a Sunday ride again this weekend.

Just got back from meeting Jules and picking up my new Rinko (155g Bike bag). Very impressed with the design (especially the way the removed front wheel is gripped without further straps). Jules kindly demo'd the right way to put on and take off. He also showed me a picture of the way he uses the shoulder strap to tie the bagged bike upright at the end of express train carriages (which is reassuring given I'm off on one this weekend and was a little unsure where the bike is to go)
Having this little bag will mean I can have two bottles of water on the bike again, as one was being hogged by my old bikebag holder (and this new one fits easily into a back pocket).

39 km after dinner, Setagaya-Shinjuku-Palace-Shinjuku-Setagaya. Any average temperature below 30C feels good.

One more day to go before the Half-Fast Norikura weekend. I decided to keep it simple and will take the train on Saturday morning, rather than setting off some time the previous afternoon or evening and ride 180-220 km through the night, as I had considered. The group ride will be more fun without lost sleep :)

Went out of an easy Palace ride this morning. Chain wasn't shifting so well today. Did a little tweaking. How often do you guys tweak the cables? This is my first click shift system but I guess it's just the cable stretching over time or bumps. Anyway - ran into a few cyclists this morning. Said hi. Wonder if they are on TCC. Am considering another Lake Tsukui ride on Sunday and take on that lovely hill up route 20 again on the way back. These 100k rides still murder me though but it just feels so great when you are out there that its hard to stop. For everyone going to Norikura (I've no clue where this is), enjoy yourselves and take lots of photos!

Was any of our members on Route 1 yesterday around 17:30-45 just before the Tsurumi river, wearing a Movistar team jersey?

For everyone going to Norikura (I've no clue where this is), enjoy yourselves and take lots of photos!

http://goo.gl/maps/kqM2G

It's a mountain that straddles the border of Nagano and Gifu, somewhere northwest of Lake Suwa, near Matsumoto. Lake Suwa is the big lake you pass on Chuo expressway on the way to Gifu and Nagoya.

Enjoy your weekend ride!

Still not back on the bike, but did enjoy looking at Ti frames, thinking about how I wouldn't be so stressed had I crashed on one of them.
Can highly recommend not breaking your teeth when you crash - just back from the dentist and traumatised.

JMA gives 60% chance of rain for Matsumoto/Nagano for 12:00-18:00 tomorrow, 40% for Sunday. I was going to bring my rain gear anyway, as a thermal layer for the Norikura descent.

Packing my bag now. I didn't send any clothes ahead to the Northstar, but will try to keep it light.

Still(!) not on the bike, but new hospital visit suggests the paralysis I have in part of my face could be temporary. LBS can true my nice DA back wheel for a not bad price (can't do that myself). Still considering what to do about the frame. Neck healing nicely, so expecting to be able to ride again next week (though will take it easy for a while). "Put me back on my bike".

Back
Top Bottom