1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wahoo vs garmin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theBlob, Nov 13, 2017.

1. theBlob

theBlob Bokeh master

so my garmin is losing the plot. No complaints it has done about 55000km so I’m happy.

But what next?

I’m thinking the Wahoo bolt vs the garmin 520.
    I’ve read that you can’t get more than about 4 hours mapping out of a 520 till it runs out of battery. That seems a little weak.
    How about the Wahoo any data from you users out there?

Any users of these two devices with any positive or negative comments please post em up!

2. saibot

saibot Maximum Pace

I got way more than 4 hours of mapping with the 520... however I would still pick the Wahoo bold no contest.

Me and @Musashi13 did a little test on his bolt yesterday and let the BOLT lead the way to Ogawamachi with the "take me to" function sent directly from his phone on the spot, besides a weird loop in the beginning it kept us off the main roads, you almost thought something was wrong at times when it sent us down some small alleys... but we got to the station avoiding all major roads and traffic and some new roads to remember :)

I did keep beeping some annoying sounds and crap, but hopefully those can be turned off.

3. bloaker

bloaker Maximum Pace

jdd likes this.
  4. Musashi13

Musashi13 Maximum Pace

After my Garmin 800 died I got a 520 and the space for maps made me change to an 820. This never worked without giving me some form of grief and I swore I wouldn't bother with Garmin again if I could help it.

Just recently I got the opportunity to get my hands on a Bolt without having to give up the 820. I have used it on a short inner city ride and a longer ride out in Saitama, as @saibot has attested to.

I can say I am happy so far, not much else as it hasn't been through the paces nearly enough, but so far so good.

The mapping/routing and customisation of the screens is great.

I need maps as I use routes I don't know and ride in areas I am unfamiliar with, I also need the full sensor array as I run the lot. If that's not an issue the Mini might be the way to go.
    The Elemnt seems a bit big to me but people ride with phones and those massive Garmin 1000 and 1030s. For me the Bolt seems the best fit and I will update as things arise or don't.
    No news would be good news but I'll let you know even as issues don't come up, too.

5. theBlob

theBlob Bokeh master

Was the route finding a Wahoo function or is it pulling it from google maps or something?

6. Karl

Karl Maximum Pace

I've had Garmins for years but bought the Elemnt Bolt recently to give it a try. Much easier to set up and customize pages since it is done on the smartphone. Moving unwanted routes off the Elemnt gave me some problems at first but seems to have sorted itself out. I do miss the colored screen but don't have any trouble following the routes on Bolt's screen. I love the fact that zoom in and out is a one touch deal on the Bolt. I found that if I left the phone connected to the Bolt as I rode, it drained phone battery really fast, so, now I ride with my phone in my pocket but don't keep it connected. As for battery life, the Wahoo lasts all day. My Garmin 520 would need a recharge at the end of a longer day in the saddle (8 hrs?) For me, I think the Bolt has the edge because it is much easier to set up and use on the go.

theBlob and jdd like this.
  7. Musashi13

Musashi13 Maximum Pace

Not sure how it worked or where it got the route from but it took us along the roads you were with us on a few weeks back.

It was not the fastest route nor was it the most direct but it kept us out of traffic and got us where we wanted to go. I've just tried to look up how that function works but I didn't see any explanation on the glance I made.

8. saibot

saibot Maximum Pace

You're suppose to be able to connect your RWGPS account and pull routes directly from there as well, I'll let @Musashi13 confirm :p

9. Musashi13

Musashi13 Maximum Pace

Yes, that’s how you do it. That or Strava but I don’t make routes with Strava so I wouldn’t know about that.
    You sync the apps with each other then when you want a route you select it on your phone and it uploads it to the device. No more copying to the “New files” folder on your computer.

10. andywood

andywood Maximum Pace

I noticed these Bryton at the bike shop.

received_10156051958182223.jpeg

They have a full range.

http://www.brytonsport.com/#/

The basic models in the photo seem to be equivalent to the Garmin 500 that I use now. They work with the Garmin sensors too so, at less than half the price, I'll probably go with one of these when the Garmin dies.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time